WAITING TIME???

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by MissK2015, Sep 13, 2015.

1. MissK2015

MissK2015 Rookie

Sep 13, 2015

(Kindergarten) When students are finished writing, they raise their hands when they are done. I didn't want them to all come to my desk and a long line would start. Either I am really slow or something, but so many hands are raising at the same time. Students are wasting valuable time just raising their hand and waiting. There is just me in this Kindergarten class. Also this happens during worksheets/independent work as well. When they are finished, they raise their hand and I come to them and help them/correct their work and students are waiting raising for a while.What do you folks do to not have students wait so long? What do you do with early finishers?

3. melnm

melnm Companion

Sep 13, 2015

Have some activities ready for your fast finishers that they can do independently. As for trying to grade/correct things as you go, I don't know. I just have them all give me their papers when we do something whole group and I look it over later. I also just try to watch as we go to make sure they're getting it so I don't have to go back through all of them every time.

4. MissK2015

MissK2015 Rookie

Sep 13, 2015

but if I collect all their work, some of them will turn in work with so many wrong answers and won't remember how to apply what I have taught.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 13, 2015

As you monitor, you can work with those who need extra help.

6. MissK2015

MissK2015 Rookie

Sep 13, 2015

Please keep posting! I want to hear other more examples!

7. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Sep 13, 2015

You'll start learning who really needs that extra help, try to make sure to be close and assessing as they work.

8. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Sep 13, 2015

I circulate as they are working independently and help students as needed. You can also look over the work later on in the day after school or during a prep and address common misconceptions the next day. Depending on the activity, you can have an extension for early finishers. If it's a center, I have a general list of "early finishers" that students can go to. If it is a worksheet, I like to always plan a "Must Do" and a "May Do" for students who finish faster than others.

9. MissK2015

MissK2015 Rookie

Sep 14, 2015

Don't some students have a really long must do list after a while?

10. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Sep 14, 2015

Why would that be? If it is a whole group activity, wouldn't everyone be doing the same thing? I would differentiate some activities but essentially it would be the same activity.

11. MissK2015

MissK2015 Rookie

Sep 14, 2015

yes they would all have the same thing. but don't some students have a lot of must dos that will pile up because they don't work as fast as others?

12. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Sep 15, 2015

So for my class, there would be one activity per subject area for the most part (Except for centers). Then, I have early finishers, extension activities or "May Dos" for kids that finish early. I would be circulating while they are working to help students or see if I notice any major trends that I might want to go over during the lesson as they are working. If there happens to be a student who still doesn't finish, I would give it to them to finish the next day during morning work. But for the most part, most students will finish during the allotted time. The extra activities are really just for kids who work at a really fast pace, so they aren't just sitting there.