Waiting time after an interview and postinterview decisions.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SFAbrownie, Mar 13, 2014.

  1. SFAbrownie

    SFAbrownie Rookie

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2014
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    1

    Mar 13, 2014

    Hi all,

    I recently had three interviews. One school called me right away saying they had chosen someone with AP certifications over me so that was understandable. I have a stellar resume and I just finished grad school but have no teaching experience. Anyway, the next interview was for a Spanish teacher position in a magnet MS. The interview went great. I met with the assistant principal, head of the LOTE department and 4 other Spanish teachers. It was an intimidating atmosphere but I managed somehow. I think I did great and received a few compliments from some of the teachers. Towards the end, the assistant principal said she would let me know towards the end of the week (I interviewed on a Tuesday). I did not hear back so I called her and left a voice message the following week. She called me back asking me to be patient since she was still trying to line up another 3 interviews (I was the 1st one). She also said that she would let me know towards the end of that week. It has now been 2 weeks and I don't know if I should keep my hopes up or not. I really liked the school and the other teacher. I think I'd be a great fit but maybe the no experience thing is killing me!

    Last week (a week after the 2nd interview) I had another interview for a HS position which is what I wanted except this HS is in the ghetto. Dropout rates are alarming and crime/violence seems to be an issue. I figured I would still go for an interview and do my part then make a decision if they called me. So there I went.... I met with 3 administrators and again, interview went great. They told me the need to fill the position right away. We're in March so that's a little suspicious already but I went with it. They called me the following day and told me they were very interested and were reviewing my references and that they would keep in touch.

    So I am pending to hear back from both schools. I, of course, want to teach at the "good" school with the nice resources but they're taking their time to make a decision. Now, if teaching is my calling (which it is) I should be ready to take on the challenge if the "bad" school calls me back...right? I have heard one teacher that worked for the same district had to take therapy after she quit her job and that is just scary. Being a first year teacher I want to be able to learn a lot and I don't know if I should be wise to refrain from the "bad" HS or brave enough to try to change things. Ok, I am also scared because I young and short and some of those high-schoolers are huge and intimidate me. My husband thinks I should not take the risk but if I really wanted to do it then he would support me.

    Are my fears unfounded? Should I go for it? What if I am missing out on other offers since I am applying so early in the year? Any advice will help! :help::confused:
     
  2.  
  3. Bunnie

    Bunnie Devotee

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2009
    Messages:
    1,136
    Likes Received:
    165

    Mar 13, 2014

    Just to get some clarity is the school you really want to work for an immediate position or for this fall? If it's for the fall why not take the other offer and then resign at the end of this school year to get some experience if you are offered the job you want or another one. If both are immediate positions I would contact the other school and say you have an offer (once you get it) but really want to work there so can they give you a clearer update.
     
  4. SFAbrownie

    SFAbrownie Rookie

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2014
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    1

    Mar 13, 2014

    @Bunnie,

    The middle school is my best option since I feel that I fit in well with the other faculty members but the opening is not until the fall of 2014. They have a great Spanish program including Spa. I-III plus Spa. for native speakers. However, I student taught at a high school so I feel that the little experience I have would help me in that level but the HS that I interviewed for is not the best when it comes to scores and such. Because of their background, they only have Spanish I and II so I wouldn't be able to use any college level literature that I have from college and grad school.

    I'm afraid I will burn bridges if I accept to work at the HS from March-May but maybe I'm being paranoid. A lot of my friends are teachers already and I feel like I'd be devastated if I'm not able to teach this year but at the same time I don't want to settle.
    In all, the pros and cons of teaching in that HS are very balanced so I wish they would just call me from the MS so that I don't have to keep thinking about it. For example, I know that working there wouldn't be as safe, the drive is about an hr. from home, my husband does not fully approve, resources are low so that means not much technology, I would only be teaching Spa. I-II, almost 50% of the students will not graduate, very minimal parent involvement, etc. On the other hand, it would be gratifying to see improvement and make a change, maybe I am meant to push a few students to go to college, I can relate to them being a first generation college graduate, I would learn a lot and have the experience necessary after at least a year to apply at a different school.

    The real question is...can I endure a year there? One of my friends taught a similar HS and she had to teach while holding her purse because she got her phone and wallet stolen separately the first month. You see what I'm saying? :confused:
     
  5. Bunnie

    Bunnie Devotee

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2009
    Messages:
    1,136
    Likes Received:
    165

    Mar 13, 2014

    I know how you feel. My first year I settled for working in a bad school, it gave me anxiety attacks. I'm not going to lie and say it'll be easy. But you also can't judge a school until you actually work there it may not be the best location/population but the administration might be phenomenal and supportive.

    It's your decision to make but if they offer you the job I would try it out for the remaining 3 months of school you might wind up loving it. If the other offer comes through for the fall then accept it and resign. You'll find that in an education career it's good to experience different opportunities to see what you'll enjoy teaching the most. I was dead set on wanting to teach 1st grade after college, 7 years later I have changed what grade level I want to teach due to dipping my hands in everything K-6.

    You can continue to interview and send resumes out there's no harm in that, I doubt you'll burn bridges.
     
  6. SFAbrownie

    SFAbrownie Rookie

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2014
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    1

    Mar 14, 2014

    That is very true. If I am offered the position at the HS I will ask if I can observe for a couple of days before I make a decision. I don't wanna miss out on a great learning opportunity due to my fears.

    Thank you for sharing! It makes me feel at ease knowing others went through similar situations.
     
  7. Bunnie

    Bunnie Devotee

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2009
    Messages:
    1,136
    Likes Received:
    165

    Mar 14, 2014

    No problem. I hope it works out for you! Keep us updated, there's a whole job seekers sub forum here that might be helpful.
     
  8. SFAbrownie

    SFAbrownie Rookie

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2014
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    1

    Apr 21, 2014

    Bunnie,

    I heard back from the MS and they did not offer me a job. However, I now have an offer from a HS that is closer to me and has stupendous rates. I will go ahead and accept the offer soon. I'm very happy!
     
  9. Bunnie

    Bunnie Devotee

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2009
    Messages:
    1,136
    Likes Received:
    165

    Apr 21, 2014

    Congrats! That's great! So happy it worked out.

    Did you ever hear back from the less desirable HS?
     
  10. SFAbrownie

    SFAbrownie Rookie

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2014
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    1

    Apr 22, 2014

    Yes, I did. They offered me a job too. Actually, I was surprised at how marketable I was LOL. I decided not to take it because it was far and because being a first year teacher will be difficult as it is so a nice environment will only help. My husband and I married recently and we were actually looking to buy a home close to where my new job will be even before I was offered the job. In all, I am very grateful for the opportunity and I'm sure I'll be an AWESOME teacher.
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. Jr1973,
  2. futuremathsprof
Total: 380 (members: 2, guests: 347, robots: 31)
test