Waiting on Reference Checks...eek!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by jennaleigh, Jun 26, 2015.

1. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

Jun 26, 2015

I had an interview on Wednesday for a third grade position. It was the best interview I've ever had. I loved everything about the school and the staff. I'm still looking for my first teaching job and hoping this is the one.

The principal said the superintendent is on vacation so I wouldn't hear until mid to late next week. HOWEVER she responded to my thank you e-mail yesterday thanking me for meeting her, and she said "at this point, you are our number 1 candidate" (!!!!!) however she said she tried calling my references and only got a hold of 1/3 (the one being very positive). She said she'd try them again today and asked me if I had any others. I gave her the name of my summer school site coordinator, as I'm teaching summer school right now, and also the name of a mom whose kids I nannied for :\ that was all I could think of - I've been nannying the past year, not subbing. My references are from last year when I student taught (I graduated May 2014) so I am hoping they will still remember me, that their numbers are still current and that I get this job!!! I am trying not to get too excited, but hoping she wouldn't have said I'm the number 1 candidate if she didn't mean it. Waiting is agony and I'm a maid of honor in a wedding tomorrow! Hoping I can concentrate!!! I would be devastated if I don't get this.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2015

Reach out to your references, perhaps with a copy of your resume, to jog their memories, and if you find that they have a preferred telephone number or time of call, pass that on to the principal. Sometimes they are on vacation, keep shorter office hours in the summer, etc.

Way to go!

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 26, 2015

I agree. I have called references right after the interview and asked them to call the school. It works!

5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jun 26, 2015

Do you know if all schools call references? I gave them 3 letters of recommendation at the interview; will the school still call them for a reference?

6. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Jun 27, 2015

When dh was interviewing and they were to the calling references stage, he contacted each one himself and told them to expect a call. He also had to give different references as two of his people were unavailable.

7. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

Jun 29, 2015

Turns out one of my references was listed under the wrong number. D'oh! I don't know how that happened. I try to be so careful with everything! I let her know and she e-mailed me today and said the superintendent will be back tomorrow and she is waiting to touch base with him. I still hope this means I'm the number 1 candidate - hoping she would have said if otherwise.

8. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

Jul 2, 2015

Update: I got the job. :)

9. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jul 2, 2015

Congrats!!

10. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jul 2, 2015

Congrats!!!!!!

11. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

Jul 2, 2015

Thank you!!! :D

12. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2015

Congrats!

13. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 2, 2015

Just asking my question ^ again since no one answered. Does anyone know? If not, that's okay. Just curious!

14. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2015

Everywhere I've interviewed has made me provide letters, but the letters alone are never good enough. They always call references or have some sort of online form with questions that they send to references to have them fill out.

15. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 2, 2015

Ah, okay.
    None of my references have told me that they were contacted so.. :(