Waiting is Hard

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by topazblue, Jul 5, 2014.

1. topazblue

topazblue New Member

Jul 5, 2014

I interviewed at my dream school A and did a demo back in early June. They said they won't be making a decision till sometime in July, so I've been waiting and waiting and waiting. However, I think I totally bombed the demo because I overestimated the students' abilities (it was a specialized school). I was told at the end that I was one of their top candidates though. They said they needed to interview one more person back then.

I interviewed at school B and later did a demo last week at another school that's a 1.75 hour commute each way through public transportation and she said I did great but I would still have to wait because the person who is retiring does not have all the paperwork in yet.

I interviewed at school C and she said she will get back to me in mid July as well. I didn't do a demo.

I really hope I get a position for the fall because I am running out of money and I have so much debt. Part of me thinks that nothing good will turn out from any of these interviews, but part of me is hopeful. I've been reading the forums and many said they were told within a day or two of the interview, which makes me wonder about the possibilities. :::: sigh:::::
    :dizzy::dizzy:

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 5, 2014

Keep applying. Apply to every school even if there isn't an opening.

4. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 5, 2014

It's definitely hard waiting. However at least they told you some sort of date they will be making a decision. Keep sending your résumé out. It's only the beginning of July.

5. topazblue

topazblue New Member

Jul 5, 2014

Thanks

Good point. It is only beginning of July!

6. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Jul 6, 2014

I agree. It's so hard. My family makes it worse because there is so much pressure on me to find a job. I graduated last year! Before every interview I get a million calls asking: When is it? Where is it? Do you remember your answer to that one question you bombed before? Have you decided what to wear? If you get this job are you moving or commuting? When would you have a yard sale? It drives me crazy and builds up my anxiety. They mean well but every time I get an interview I have to tell my entire family not to talk about it and get their hopes up. I think I interview well, even with the added pressure. I ALWAYS walk out thinking - this is the one! - I got the job. It's hard for me to adopt a carefree attitude. I was like this back in high school when I worked retail. If I went in for an interview, I prided myself in walking out with a job. I had never been turned down before until I started interviewing for teaching jobs.

7. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 6, 2014

topazblue: I know, the waiting is the worst part! That seems like a really long time (I would be driving myself crazy also), but at least they did give you some sort of a timeframe. I hope that you hear back with good news soon!

allaragallagher:I know how you feel. I've taken to only letting my parents know about upcoming interviews. I usually tell a close aunt and cousin after I go, too, but I never tell the rest of my family! I cannot take all of the questions and "helpful" tips that they offer. Plus, when I don't get the job, I feel like they would criticize instead of being supportive.

8. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 6, 2014

I understand the whole critical family issue. When I was first looking for a teaching job years ago my dad would always be like why can't you get a job I don't understand? It annoyed me to no end considering I still lived with him at the time.

Now last year when I was unemployed my dad was a little encouraging and would say that I shouldn't accept something with low pay just to have a job. I guess he's come around to understand I've worked hard for my degrees.

Then again he also makes fun of me sometimes because he makes more money (at the moment) and he didn't even graduate high school. But of course jobs like he has don't exist for people of our generation.

People can be so critical when they aren't in your shoes.

9. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Jul 6, 2014

I'm unemployed so everyone makes more than me, but my brother works seasonal hotel jobs (desk clerk, bus boy, etc.) and makes more than I will make as a first year teacher. If he accepted a full time position and stayed put instead of moving around, I would need to have worked 30 years to catch up. It's really sad.

.. I only tell me parents because I live with them. They tell everyone else. I told them I'm going to stop telling them until after I interview. :lol:

10. lilia123

lilia123 Companion

Jul 6, 2014

I have gone out of my way to make sure my mother-in-law doesn't know I'm going on any interviews or even still looking for a job. I asked her to babysit once and she told everyone in my husband's entire family, all her friends, and posted all over Facebook about my interview. I know she is just trying to help but she had her job for 30 years. I think a lot of times people who spent their entire careers in a good job market don't understand what it's like to be searching for a job when times are bad. You try to stay positive and believe it will happen but when you graduated at the same time the economy took a nose dive you gain a very different perspective from those people who were out there when jobs were plentiful.

11. monkeyrun

monkeyrun Rookie

Jul 6, 2014

I don't like telling people about stuff until it's a done deal!

And ooh, the waiting really is the hardest part! I hope you hear soon about the positions! The first time I was looking I never heard right after, one way or the other. A few principals did call to say they had offered the position to someone else, but I usually had to wait a week for that. It also took at least a few days for me to hear that I did get the job I've had for the past few years (and I was one of the last ones interviewed; a few more people were hired and one had to wait almost a month for the good news).

I hope something good comes from your waiting! :)

12. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2014

I so totally get the mother-in-law thing. When I was looking for a job she just didn't understand why it was taking me so long to get one. At one point my husband and I both decided that he would go work overseas while I was finishing up school and looking for a job. OMG the blame and flack I took for his decision to make our lives a little easier. And don't get me started on her views of the classroom and how our school are funded in Texas. One day we got into a very heated argument about pay. She just didn't know why us teachers are paid so much when we only work part of the year, why we needed so much technology in our classroom. Ughhhhh I can't even stand her!!!!

13. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2014

Sorry for the hijack. I know the waiting is hard. I used to day this all the time. God has a plan, he doesn't ever tell me what it is, but his plan will work our one day! Good luck on the job hunt.

14. topazblue

topazblue New Member

Jul 6, 2014

It's ok

It's ok we all need to vent

15. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Jul 6, 2014

I know how you feel. I was called for an interview (asked if I will need to do a demo, they said no) and when I arrived I was informed that I was noted on their email that I was to do a demo. I told them I asked ahead of time, but I can put one together. I decided to do it on finding the perimeter of a polygon. I had 3 students (7th grade, 1st grade and 4th grade) 2 administrators and 3 parents. I listed the steps on how to find the perimeter and modeled on one problem. Then I did another one with my little group and one student had a totally different way and I said that's great, as everyone learns differently. After I did 4 problems with my group, I was asked my an administrator to do something hands-on, well I didn't have anything and everything in the room was cleaned up and put away (as school was over) one administrator found meter sticks, so I noticed that there were desks of different perimeter. So each student received a meter stick and selected a table. 2 students were brothers and they did one together, I assisted as the 1st grader would need some help. We worked them all out and found the perimeter for all. Then 1 administrator sent the students into another room to find something with the perimeter of 100 to cover a big hold of a rocket that is in outer space. I answered questions with all parents and administrators. So now I am waiting also.

16. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 6, 2014

Wow to put you on the spot like that is crazy. Not to mention the various grade levels you were working with. It sounds like you pulled it off and showed you were flexible. Hopefully they saw that and it works in your favor. Fingers crossed for you!

17. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Jul 6, 2014

It seems like there are more teaching jobs this summer to apply for, but the competition is really tough. I am an experienced teacher and they seem to look for the young and inexperienced. Thanks for the support,I'll let everyone how it goes. Just wanted to share my interview experience and to be ready for anything that comes up:thumb:

18. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jul 6, 2014

The waiting is the worst part! It does seem like a long time to wait.

I also am not telling anyone other than my husband and Mother in Law of any upcoming interviews. I would rather not tell my MIL, but she watches my children during the interview so I have no out. I am also not staying anything that happens during the interview. All she keeps telling me in to be positive and it is all ok because I have been offered the opportunity to sub in one of my dream districts. I know that is great, but I want my own classroom and a full time pay check! (Not trying to sound stuck up- just being honest.)

19. FaithDriven

FaithDriven Rookie

Jul 7, 2014

Wow I thought I was the only one. I started off the hiring season being so positive and wanting to tell everyone but now that's changed. All of the questions are soooo annoying! I don't want to talk about it anymore. I keep thinking that I did well on interviews only to be turned down. Other people just don't get it! My friends and dad keep asking how its going but I tell them I will keep them updated. Not talking about it helps keep my anxiety down.