Waiting for "Superman"

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Genmai, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Genmai

Genmai Companion

Jul 26, 2010

3. ecochick

ecochick Rookie

Jul 26, 2010

WOW! What a powerful message this will send! I can't wait to see it! I can't wait to see everyone's opinion about this topic. I completely agree the system is flawed. There are kids out there that really want to succeed, but can't because of where they live or their socio-economic status.
    I do think though that sometimes the problem lies with parents. In my experience, some parents today feel a sense of entitlement and pass this on to their kids. These kids feel as if they will just be "given" what they need and will never have to work for it; therefore, what is the point of an education.

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 26, 2010

It's not necessarily that the system is broken, the reality is there's not enough jobs. Just like on this forum, there's graduates with degrees unable to find a position. If every high school graduate earned a degree not all of them would be hired.

5. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2010

This will be an interesting film to see. I'm curious what the reviews will be!

6. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jul 26, 2010

This looks awesome... any info on the release date?

7. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Jul 26, 2010

I'm not so sure how I feel about this film yet. I'm curious to see what angle it's going to take. I'm hoping it isn't going to be another teacher bashing film like a small company made last fall. Many American teachers do excellent work. More support is needed to help the process work.

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 26, 2010

I can't wait to see this movie, even though it will only talk about American schools.

9. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Sep 27, 2010

Has anyone seen this film yet? From what I hear, it is a dump on the teacher and the unions movie. Anybody?

10. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 27, 2010

I am getting frustrated trying to find a list of locations where it will be playing in. Yes, I can look it up using my own zip code but there is nothing in my city. I would like to look at dates overall so that I can possibly plan a trip to a nearby city.

11. deb4kids

deb4kids Rookie

Sep 27, 2010

I believe it opens in most areas next week. Oct 8.

I caught it at a screening tonight.

12. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 27, 2010

I put in my zipcode and still nothing...I just wish there was a listing.

13. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 28, 2010

Check for Friday's date. I think it's only open in NY and LA this week.

14. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Sep 28, 2010

15. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Sep 28, 2010

we watched the trailer in my one grad class and were wondering if it was going to turn into a bash on teachers. I still plan to see it, as i'm sure it will come in convo in my grad classes as well.

we'll see....just like anything else catchy, it's always on the negative, not the positive. nothing is ever focused on what IS working..but what isn't. and so we spin our wheels some more.

16. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 28, 2010

wow that's too bad.......

17. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Sep 28, 2010

...the truth hurts sometimes

The thing that bothers me is about the buzz on this movie is how this Michelle Rhee is being demonized as some sort of teacher hater, when it's clear that she is an ardent supporter of children and their education.

And, in regard to "focusing on what is working"... why would they want to focus on the little that is working, versus the mountain of that is currently not working?

18. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 29, 2010

If you truly feel very little is working in our education system versus a mountain that is not working, you might be in the wrong profession.

Unless you think some of the things that aren't working are the state governments making constant budget and funding cuts to schools while still demanding higher performance, or ignoring the social and geographical contexts in which the teachers of public schools operate around the country or the federal government holding extra funding up in the air to be grabbed by the states that can jump the highest (Here ya go boy, get the money stick, come on boy. Jump for it. Jump. Good boy)

Those are some of the things that are not working in our education system, but it sounds like Mr. Guggenheim and Bill Gates forgot to mention those.

19. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Sep 29, 2010

I look at it another way.
    I want to be in teaching, to be the beacon for students in & amongst a forest of disadvantage, institutional obstacles, hidden traps, burdens, etc... a guide so to speak. Sure I could quit (and it's still a possibility; but it would not be because of any impositions on the job... just the extreme barrier to entry), but I don't want to because I think I have the vision and passion to be a teacher and leader... and do it by overcoming the tremendous disadvantages that are inherent.

This is not the point of the movie (from what I've heard... obviously haven't seen it yet). The point is not to do a comprehensive view on education, citing it's positives and negatives; the goal was to identify a major problem, and serve as a call to arms.

20. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 29, 2010

Fair enough. I realize my POV is limited since my only experience is in a rural setting. Even the larger towns around me would still be considered "rural" by most definitions, or at least "small city". Well, except for Atlanta, of course (100 miles to the South).

I've never worked at, nor been in, an inner city school, so I know I am naive' about just how bad things can be in those settings. But even in our own rural setting, we have kids facing issues or growing up in environments that no child should ever face, so we do have many of the same problems/issues faced by large-city schools, just not in the same abundance.

I do agree every teacher should strive to be a guiding light to their students and help overcome the social, environmental and cultural obstacles they may be facing outside of the school.

A call to arms is one thing, but not at the expense of universally bashing teachers in public schools. This is one reason I have become very cynical and jaded towards all talk show hosts - including Oprah - because they blatantly stack the guests they bring on the show to promote their personal POV or spin on the issue. Same goes for filmmakers like Michael Moore and Guggenheim. They can't just let the story speak for itself. They both feel the need to manipulate and twist the facts to give the viewer seemingly no option BUT to agree with them. Moore has done it multiple times in his films and a British court ruled that An Inconvenient Truth (narrated by notable scientist politician, Al Gore) contained 9 substantial "errors" and could only be shown in British schools accompanied by a disclaimer stating the film only presented one side of the argument with a heavy political agenda. I really see no reason to expect Waiting for Superman to be any different.

If you want to generate a call to arms regarding education, then at least be courteous enough to let TEACHERS be part of that call to arms and explain what types of reform our system REALLY needs.

21. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 29, 2010

:thumb:

I'm really excited to see this Friday!

22. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 29, 2010

This doesn't bother me at all. I like Oprah even if I don't always agree with her, but it is her show, and it is a talk show. And while she's very influential, yes, she's still just a person with a talk show who can voice her concerns and opinions and do the happy dance for her favorite pie. She has expressed many, many times her love of teachers, and she said at least twice during her episode covering this movie that she knows there are amazing teachers out there. But that wasn't her point...it wasn't an episode devoted to doting on teachers. And I know it's not just Oprah, but I'm just saying... :)

I don't know... I guess I don't consider any of this poor journalism or anything of the like. Though I haven't seen the movie, I don't expect the movie to spend any time whatsoever discussing what is working in education. That's not the point of this man's film, not the message he wants to spread.

23. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Oct 2, 2010

I saw it! The usher gave me $225 worth of gift cards to Donors Choose! :) We funded my friend's sand table last night.

I liked the film. It was a little heavy on the charter school emphasis, but I don't feel like it was the big bad teacher bashing movie that everyone's saying it is. They made it a point to discuss the flawed bureaucracy that limits teachers' ability to do their jobs. I think everyone agrees with this, even if you don't personally spin it to support work at charter schools. I was disappointed that they glossed over that "one in five charter schools are actually showing increased performance" fact. However, I really love Geoffrey Canada, so anything highlighting his work is worth seeing. The Michelle Rhee parts were ironic considering her probable fate.

I fear that the people who see this film will not be the people who need to see it. The turnout was certainly disappointing. I think there was thirty people in the whole theater. :unsure:

24. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Oct 2, 2010

A movie bashing public schools.....gee, that's really novel, huh?

While there are singular charter school success stories, of course, as a whole, you could do a weekly television series on how inferior they are.

25. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 2, 2010

Charter schools should function similar to vocational schools imo.

There's a local county-run school that is for math and science, it is one of the best high schools in the country (High Technology High School in Lincroft, NJ)

26. Genmai

Genmai Companion

Oct 14, 2010

I watched it today and have some mixed feelings. For sure, Randi and the unions aren't painted in the best light, and the charter schools are shown as saviors of the system when in fact most charters schools are as poor or worse than the bad schools for which they're supposed to be better alternatives. The movie takes certain positions and may simplify the issues overly, but it is shortsighted to label the movie "teacher bashing". The film is worth watching however you may feel. Keep an open mind. Spend an evening at the theater and then form your opinions.