Waiting for Superman - movie about the 'broken' education system

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Amanda, May 10, 2010.

1. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

May 10, 2010

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 10, 2010

It better be more nuanced than the trailer... then again, nuance doesn't sell tickets.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 10, 2010

It might be worth seeing.

5. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 10, 2010

Totalllly made this thread and it got ignored. I'm so glad you posted it again! :)

I'm really excited. I wish it was coming out now.

6. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

May 10, 2010

Teacher bashing at its finest

I think it's horrible and all about money and politics, and not about the children. That's my :2cents:
    Gotta admit they are brilliant to use tears of children to reach the emotions of America and to continue to pile up on how bad all teachers and schools are. Way to go.

7. Amanda

May 10, 2010

I'm kind of leaning that way, webmistress. The trailer has the feel of a Micheal Moore movie (love him or hate him -there's definitely bias).

I just double-checked to make sure it wasn't a Micheal Moore movie. :lol: It turns out is the same director as An Inconvenient Truth.

8. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

May 10, 2010

The problem is, none of this information is new to us. We know how bad things are right now. OTHER people need to watch this beyond just teachers and parents. I hope it is popular and many people can get a taste of reality.

9. Amanda

May 10, 2010

But is it reality everywhere?

10. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

May 10, 2010

That is true. Definitely not everywhere, and I'm sure its more dramaticized than reality. But, I still feel there is great disillusionment about what is really going on in the field of education, and any way to get the word out there is most likely a step in the right direction.

11. apple4teach

apple4teach Rookie

May 11, 2010

Hmmm. I'll probably see this when it comes out so I can form an informed opinion. But, I must say, based on the trailer and the few reviews/articles I've read, it seems to be more than a bit biased in favor of charters/privatization. I mean, the main people featured in the trailer are Michelle Rhee, Bill Gates and the head of the Harlem Project. Also, based on what I've read, the film places much of the blame on unions/teachers.

That said, I'll try to watch it with an open mind and hope that it spurs some new conversations about the state of education in the US.

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 11, 2010

We're going to go see it as a team building activity at our school!

I agree some of the successes they seem to be profiling do come from charter schools which have more latitude than public schools do. I really like Canada though-he's really changed education in that area-for the lucky ones that get chosen in the lottery. His success in the urban world is just unparallelled-if we can learn something from that... The trailer gave me chills-when's the last time we've had any kind of theater-released documentary on education.

Whether you agree with the message or not-at least it might get people talking about issues in education.

13. teachermama

teachermama Rookie

May 11, 2010

14. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 11, 2010

I'm afraid that for some cases, it's not dramatic enough. :unsure: But I'll wait to see before I comment. You could be right! (They do have to market after all.)

Also, Geoffrey Canada is my true hero. I hope I can meet him before I die. He's such an eloquent person who knows how to get his way without making anyone angry. Please check out his books if any of you enjoy reading. He wrote a great reflection called "Fist, Stick, Knife, Gun" about youth violence.

15. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

May 11, 2010

This strikes a chord with me, because I think this is all going to prove to be a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy for our country.

We've all heard stats like that (in terms of dropout rate, illiteracy, math/science rank worldwide, all measured vs. amount of money spent), and I think it's reflective of where our country is heading this current mess being just a start.

16. MathNrd

MathNrd Rookie

May 12, 2010

Not all teachers were created equal. There are good teacher and there are sub-standard teachers. Some days I am a good teacher and somedays I am a sub-standard teacher but almost every day I reflect on what worked and what didn't work and what I might do differently. The fact of the matter is for the most part what we are doing is not working. The system is broken. Hopefully these movies will provide food for thought.