Wage Satisfaction

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.SLS, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jul 8, 2013

The thread about North Carolina got me thinking... how many people feel satisfied with their salary? I mean, of course, everyone could always use extra money, but do you feel that you make a liveable salary?

I live in Northern CA (much cheaper than SoCal). I have a Master's. I am not extravagant or under loads of debt, and I still have to scrape by each month for basic things like groceries, dog food, etc. I have to take on after school duties or summer school if I want to make enough money to save for home improvements or trips. I feel fortunate to even HAVE a job or have the opportunity for extra duty pay, but it's still frustrating to be a highly educated professional who's counting pennies for gas money.

3. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2013

I definitely make a liveable wage. But I'm also single and living at home. I could definitely afford to get my own place and pay rent. It would be hard if I was say, a single parent of 3 kids. It's annoying that wealthier districts near mine make way more money. I know I have friends from college with the same exact experience who are making more money, but I'd rather be in the inner-city.

I have my master's and I'm going into my 3rd year of teaching and I know I'm making more than double what teachers with double or triple years experience in other parts of the country are making. I definitely wouldn't want to move anywhere else.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2013

My salary is enough, although I would certainly like to make more. My hoosband and I are frugal, we basically only use cash (well, our debit cards), our cars are both paid for, and we own a modest home. When I see some of the salaries in other places, mostly salaries in the $30k range, I am appalled. That's not liveable anywhere.

5. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2013

We feel pretty much like you.
    We each make about $40K for our family of 5.
    It's enough for basics but few extras.

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 8, 2013

I took a $6,000 pay cut to move to NC and to teach in a private school. But it is so worth it. After 10 years in an inner city school, I was burned out.

The school I teach in now has a family atmosphere, and the children all want to be there and want to learn. Instead of back talk, I get "yes Ma'am." There are so many things that are worth more than money.

However, that being said, having enough to live on is important.

7. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jul 8, 2013

My husband makes much less - he works as a para. We don't have kids, and when I crunch the numbers, that doesn't even seem like a possibility until he finishes college and finds a job (in 3 or 4 years...)

In CA, I also make a higher salary than many other teachers in the midwest. I can't even fathom trying to support a family on a 30,000 salary.

8. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 8, 2013

I work in Southern California. I am very happy with the wage situation. When you add in the short work hours, vacation times, holidays, medical insurance, job security..etc I am very very happy.

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2013

I think my salary is way too low for where I live (Hawaii). I have a Master's degree, but don't get paid for it because its in administration. I'm starting my 7th year of teaching and make $43,000. But, they take so much out that I only take home about $200 more a month than I did in Idaho, where I made $31,750.

I only bring home about $2200 a month. If I wasn't married, I couldn't afford to live here on my own. Even studio apartments are at least $1,200 and then you have utilities to pay (which are really high here). Our townhouse cost is $2,000 but luckily we're military and get housing paid for. You have to be married or have a roommate to afford to live here. I don't know any single teacher who lives on their own.

10. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 8, 2013

Our salary is okay for the cost of living, but I have not gotten a pay increase in 3 years. I don't even get a "step" for experience. I am getting paid as if I have 8 years experience instead of 10, next year, 11. Budget crunch blah blah blah. It is what it is, but it is annoying that people hired into my district now get paid for their experience as of now when we have been giving our souls to our work and are a bit forgotten. Hopefully, that will change soon.

11. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 8, 2013

After reading how little some teachers in other parts of the country get paid, I'm very satisfied. It helps that I live in a part of the country that has a relatively low cost of living. I have enough for all of my regular basic expenses and then some. I can't buy a lot of "wants," but I do have enough left over for some. I'm definitely not counting pennies... at least not most of the time. And that's without having to work any additional jobs over the summer or evenings/weekends. I get compensated for my master's degree, and I am offered stipends for attending PD over the summer and off-hour workshops during the school year. A good chunk of my salary comes out for retirement, but I consider that to be well worth it. I don't pay anything for health insurance and only a very minimal amount for short- and long-term disability.

Not all districts or schools in my area compensate teachers this well, but many do. I consider myself to be very lucky where I am.

For the record, I'm single with no kids. If I was a single parent, I don't think I'd be able to live the same way I do.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2013

I just want to be able to pay all my bills and have a little money left over!

13. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jul 8, 2013

This. Exactly this. I don't need to be wealthy, but I would like to be able to buy chicken for dinner if I felt like it, instead of squash and rice. Or be able to save up for a few months and take a weekend out of town.

14. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 8, 2013

I am comfortable on my salary. I am married, but my husband's salary basically pays for insurance and daycare for 2. Our needs are met and we can do some small extras. We have to save like crazy, and my husband will have to take extra shifts at his second job, and I will have to do before-school tutoring if we want to take any vacations.

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2013

We live comfortably with what we make, but when I think of other professions I do think it is a bit unfair what we make. However, making 40K a year helps in MX because the cost of living is much lower than in the states, or at least in CA where I am from. My DH makes much less than I do, but our combined income allows us to meet all our needs with extras, including some travel.

16. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 8, 2013

Well, about 10 years ago (before I became a stay-at-home mom) I made approximately the same amount of money in a very low level position in the biz world as I make now as a teacher. Keep in mind the inflation over the past decade. Be that as it may, I am satisfied with my salary. It frustrates me how much I have to pay out of pocket for supplies and things, but it is what it is.

17. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 8, 2013

I'm very happy with what I make. Well, I'm extremely happy that I have a job, period, but the pay is great. In Central Cali, the rent is very low here, but I get the same rate I would get for Southern Cali. I get paid for my Masters, and even 1 year experience for my LTS. It's right under 50 K, and for 182 days, that's awesome. For a first year teacher, I think it's as good as it gets. And I can sub during the summer, even during winter break, here and there if I want some extra money. I love it.
    We have short days (8-2 pm, although we don't get our breaks to ourselves) and my P is amazing, and so are the teachers, I really start to feel that I'm part of the district's 'community'. During the summer, while subbing I met other teachers and staff at the other locations.
    The kids are tough, but oh well, it's part of the deal :)

18. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 8, 2013

I was in the "it is what it is" category while I was in teaching. My husband made a much larger salary, so we were ok.

I'm not a teacher anymore, and frankly I'm ****** that I spent all those years just being ok with what I made (and how I was treated, for that matter).

I now make a very good salary, have excellent benefits (100% insurance, dental, vision, life, 2 vacation days per month, 2 sick days per month, 8% match in 401k, AND my kids receive FREE tuition at my college or at any other college in the state-that is huge.)

The respect level I get now is what blows me away. When I was teaching I was treated like a union loving, liberal freeloader. Since I left, I have been invited to join several leadership organizations, I sit on committees, I was asked to be on the Chamber board, and I finally feel like I have a voice.

I'm not saying any of that to brag, but honestly...it is what it is. I've never looked back.

19. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 8, 2013

When I read what some people on here earn, I feel so thankful to have landed a job in my district. Although I am single and make about 65k/year, I don't have a ton of money left over at the end of the month.

20. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 8, 2013

I'm pretty well part of the "working poor" category since I bought my house. I am not satisfied with my salary, but it is mainly due to the fact that I will not get a raise until I go back to school which won't be happening anytime soon as classes are over $1200 and I can't afford it

21. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 8, 2013

My husband and I are doing fine, but we are DINKs, so I know it would be different if we had children. Of course, we have many fur children, and they take a large amount of our salary each month...

22. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 8, 2013

I feel like my salary is adequate for 10 months of work. I make nearly 38k. Suppose teaching was a 12-month job, I would make just over 45k. That's above average for my area, which has a very low cost of living.

However, being single, it's not enough. I've been living with my parents and saving as much money as possible while working on my masters and now EdD. They live 5 miles away from my current workplace, so it made sense. There's no way I could pay a mortgage and pay for grad school.

23. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 8, 2013

It's ok for where I am in my life right now. I live at home so I don't have those expenses yet. I'm able to pay extra towards my student loans each month, have some "play" money & put the rest in my savings account.

However, I want to pay off my loans and get my own place eventually. I am making about $10K less than I would in the suburbs, but they are cutting so many jobs there it wouldn't be a smart move right now. I can get paid for my master's & 30 credits beyond that, which will bump up my salary quite a bit. I'm 7 credits shy of the +30 right now and hope to finish this year. Hopefully a new NYC mayor this year will give us a new contract with a pay raise, as it has been frozen since 2009.

With all that said, I am incredibly lucky and thankful. I was making a sub salary of $85 a day for 2.5 years before this.

24. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2013

I'm happy with my salary. We are a two-income family and we live pretty frugally but we are in a good position financially. (At least I think so. DH seems to think our financial situation is a lot more precarious than I do.) DH is self-employed and makes less than I do. Our house is paid off, we put money into retirement every year, and we have zero debt. We live modestly but I am thankful for what we have.

I've been teaching for 14 years, have a Master's, and teach in an urban district in a union state. I do a few supplemental things within the district that earn me an extra $3000 or so a year.

I also appreciate the medical benefits that my job provides.

25. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2013

I guess some would consider it a liveable wage in my area, but I don't.

When I was single, I had to work a second job to have money for extras - clothes, a vacation, my savings account. My teaching salary ($35k - and has been for five years) was just enough to pay the monthly bills and live in a safe area. It drove me crazy working ALL of the time just to have a little extra, so I ended up moving back home so I could save.

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2013

I work in one of the higher paid districts in my state..more than many make in most states...yet our pay is decreasing with higher buy into pension and healthcare. Negotiations are tough..

27. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2013

I am satisfied with my salary. (20 years experience + MA since 1996)

I'm single. I bought a house at age 29. It is close to being paid off. I have a nice vehicle (2008) that was bought new and paid for at the time. I have everything I need and the majority of what I want.

I'm careful with my money, but I don't have to scrimp and save to make ends meet every month.

I make more than most people in my county. It's especially good for a 185 day contract.

28. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Jul 8, 2013

I do not make enough for someone who has a 4 year degree. $31,000 after 7 years. If it weren't for my husband, I'd be living in a trailer.

29. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jul 8, 2013

Going with the idea of "fair market value," an expression which everyone in every profession seems to grasp onto like grim death these days, I'm not satisfied.

Depending upon the reference point of our salary scale, we make between $10,000-$20,000 LESS than the nicer suburban districts and we have it a lot harder than them in terms of violence and other things.
    :down:

30. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Jul 8, 2013

We are entering out 4th year without a contract. My take home pay has decreased about $400 per month over the last 3 years. When I was single and living at home it was fine. We have been barely getting buy since we got married (DH worked per diem in Catholic school). Hopefully things will get better now that DH is finally on contract next year. (I woun't hold my breath about our contract getting settled anytime soon).

31. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2013

I took a pay cut when I changed districts. I would feel more satisfied earning $15,000 more. Because my husband has a great career and we don't have children, we live a very comfortable life...but that doesn't mean I think I'm being paid fairly.

32. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2013

Of course I would like more, but my salary is "livable." I never worry about having enough to pay rent and bills, and can afford some basic "extras" too, but I would say I'm pretty frugal. I'm fortunate that I don't have any debt- no car payment or school loans. If I had both of those it would be very hard. Most of my non-teaching friends think I'm absolutely crazy to not live downtown, as obviously that's where most people our age are. I've looked into it several times and there is just no way to swing it on my salary. They're all private sector and some of them make double what I do, even though we're the same age and have the same amount of education. It also irks me to think what teachers in my hometown make when the COL there is SO much lower. I also wonder how in the world single parents do it. The cost of getting a 2 bedroom apartment alone is enough to make my head spin...not to mention all of the other costs associated with children.

33. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 8, 2013

I get paid better than most 3rd year teachers, but the cost of living is incredibly high. I have $1200/mo in rent and utilities alone. Plus student loans, plus a car payment, etc. Would I like more money? Yes. But I'm not complaining. I feel fortunate to have a job at all.

34. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jul 9, 2013

I'm a first year teacher and my salary will cover my expenses and nothing more. If I had any debt from college it wouldn't be livable - heck if I wasn't on my parents family plan for my cell phone it wouldn't be livable. I'm hoping I can save $50 a month if I'm frugal with food. It will go straight to savings though.

The thought of starting graduate school terrifies me. The money just isn't there, and I'm scared I won't get a raise for having a masters.

35. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 9, 2013

When I started teaching in NC I was told that THIS would be my salary the first year and THAT would be my salary then and then and then.

They decreased my pay that year and it has never returned to the original amount. So I am making thousands less than I was promised. My insurance has changed and I'm very afraid of what is going to happen with it this coming year. An aquaintance just paid for a prescription refill last week. Last month, a different fiscal year, she paid $20-something for the medication. Last week she was told it was over $100 more. Hopefully it can be replaced with a cheaper medication, but that is just one example of how we are losing money each year.

My husband is constantly asking me to consider leaving teaching. I have convinced my daughter and her friend to change their college majors. By the time they get out and get hired, they might be getting less than minimum wage @@.

36. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 9, 2013

I'm fairly happy with my salary. I bought a house and I'm single. I also have a horse that I board. I do pretty well, thankfully.

37. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Jul 9, 2013

I am satisfied. SO is also a teacher, although he has yet to find a permanent position. Last year, he was able to get a long term subbing position for the entire year. We were able to live just off of mine income and bank all of his for the down payment on a house. Our rent is fairly high (I think) and we both have student loans, but our car is paid off and don't use our credit cards very often (usually to buy something online, but we're pretty good about immediately transferring the amount in cash over to the card). We're still able to enjoy ourselves, go out to dinner now and again, see a movie, etc.

38. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2013

I am very happy with my salary and benefits. There isn't a ton going into savings, but I don't need to watch my spending too closely.

39. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 9, 2013

I would like to earn enough to send my son to the state college of his choice...not an Ivy League one! When teachers can't afford an education for their child, it is sad.

40. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 9, 2013

I'm not satisfied since our state is LOW on the totem pole for teacher salaries AND since I saw on the NACE website that the average starting salary for college grads with bachelor degrees is over $11,000 more than a starting teacher makes in my state :(

I am satisfied in that we do ok (I did NOT say well; I said OK) and I have a job that I LOVE LOVE LOVE. If not for my husband's salary, we couldn't make it. I know because he makes about the same as me (he does not have a college degree, but has been at the same job for 25 years- me, 5) and we couldn't make it on his income alone- hence the credit card debt and student loans we are now paying off. If not for those, I would call us "comfortable," but we are living in a home rent-free that we do not own (his boss owns it) and we are not materialistic IN THE LEAST- shop at yard sales, thrift stores, etc.

There ARE things I want that I cannot have- my living room furniture is literally threadbare and none of my furniture matches :whistle: But we have a van and a car (both purchased used- one paid off, one will be in one more year), we keep the bills paid and food on the table with some to spare. A nest egg would be nice, though :unsure:

BTW, I currently make (not bring home-make) around $38,000.

41. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 9, 2013

This is true :(

My oldest daughter earned a full ride but is now taking loans to get her Master's. My son, 19, is going to college on student loans (his own). My youngest starts middle school this year. Hope she keeps up the 4.0 and gets some help! :rolleyes: