Waaaayyyy Nervous!

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by Teacher379, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Teacher379

Teacher379 Companion

Jul 14, 2008

So...here I am thinking about the new school year already. And now, it hit me (again)...that my baby will be starting Middle School next year! :eek:

I teach first grade, so I've had her under my wing throughout elementary school. But, I've heard horror stories about MS and the things that go on.

The MS principal gives a very good first impression and I haven't heard any negatives about the school.

But I'm still worried.

On top of that, I have to leave my house in the morning, and expect her to get herself completely ready and out of the house on time to walk to the bus stop for school. Do I trust an 11 yo to lock up my house???? :eek:

Don't get me wrong, my daughter is pretty responsible for her age. But it still scares me! She will be attending a different school, because I wanted her to attend a bilingual program. So, there probably won't be any other kids from our area catching her bus to school. Most likely she's walking to the bus stop on her own.

Is/was anyone else in this situation? How did you cope?

3. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 14, 2008

I don't have any kids of my own yet, but way younger little brothers. There's a 16yr gap between one and a 24 year gap between the other. The one I'm 16yrs older than was driven to and from school by me everyday up until the 4th grade. It was a tough transition for me when he started riding the bus. Mind you the bus dropped him off and picked him up in front of my mom's house, but still. My mom and I were very nervous when he started MS, but we knew how he was being raised and that he'd make great decisions. I'm sure your daughter will be fine. Just have faith that you have raised her to make the best decisions. I still say a prayer for him every morning though. :D

4. lovemyjob

lovemyjob Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

My oldest is starting MS also this Sept. I'm nervous also because I too will probably be gone before he is to get on the bus. Not much I can do but reinforce stranger danger and such for he to will be at the bus stop alone.:eek:

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 14, 2008

Does she have a cell phone? I would suggest your new morning ritual becomes - "mom, I just left the house, I did lock the door and am walking to the bus stop," followed by "mom, I am on the bus now. Bye, Love you." Same thing for arriving home in the afternoon.

My oldest daughter will be starting college this year and I am trying to get use to the fact that I won't know where she's going on Friday and Saturday nights!! She still has a midnight curfew and must tell us where she's at and check in fairly regularly. She has argued, and rightly so, in one month she will be out and on her own - yikes. My youngest daughter will be starting HS this year and since I teach at the school she will be attending, I am not really stressing out. :)

6. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Jul 15, 2008

As much as my husband and I drug our heals on cell phones for my stepchildren (14 & 11) I can honestly tell you they are a blessing! I love being able to call and/or text and know exactly what they are doing. They do have the, "Mom, we're home, the garage door is shut and the front door is locked" call to their mother every day. If they don't call her within a 15 minute window they've agreed upon - priviledges for the weekend are lost if there isn't a darn good reason for the late phone call!

7. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2008

I know you're nervous but it is good for her to have responsibility. Be prepared for problems though. Does she know who to call if she misses the bus? Do you have a key hidden somewhere? We picked up a hide-a-key at Lowe's (expensive but well worth it) for the back door. It has a combination lock with a key inside. Be sure that she will feel comfortable telling her teacher if she is concerned. Last year one of my students was all upset because she got on the bus and realized that her key was in the house. I was able to help because she talked to me.

8. KWLme

KWLme Rookie

Jul 22, 2008

Using the cell phone is a great idea. When my son started high school, and was taking a city bus to and from school, we started a routine very much like your suggestion. It really calmed my nerves - especially since my son can be "spacey." Having that extra link to him made me feel much safer. One little word of caution, make sure you know the school's policy on cell phones. I teach 6th grade, and our school has a policy that says that if the students want to use their phones on school property they must be in with a teacher - otherwise the phone get's taken away (if the student is caught.) It hasn't been a major problem for me or my students - most of them are pretty respectful about the rule.

9. Teacher379

Teacher379 Companion

Aug 29, 2008

Update!

Hey everyone!

School's been in for 2 weeks now and I'm glad to say that so far, things are going smooth.

We have a morning routine, where I wake her up before I leave and she has 4 different alarms going off during the 90 minutes that she's spending home alone (no excuses to be late for the bus). She then sends me a text when the bus arrives. Her school's policy is that all phone must be turned off on campus, so we don't hear from each other until she's home again. This is when she'll send me another text telling me that she's home (if I'm not home yet)

So, everyday (right at the beginning of my literacy block), my cell vibrates and I check the message to make sure she's saying that the bus arrived.

I'm still a little nervous, but I'm glad I have a responsible little girl that I've tried to make independent from the age of two :2up:

Anyways, thanks for all of your advise and encouragements (sp?)

Have a great Labor Day Weekend!

-Crystal