waaaah--rejection letter

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Occabacca, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Occabacca

Occabacca Companion

Jul 6, 2007

Well as i sit here wiping my tears away, I am posting on here for help on a folllow up email to the principal that I just received a rejection letter from. I am so bummed, I had a second interview on Monday with a district I wanted sooooo bad, and received the terrible letter today.
    I want to send the principal a email thanking him for his time. However I want to know why me, what could have i done differently.

Please give me some guidance on how to deal with rejection and what to say in this email that I don't even want to send.

Thanks ahead

3. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 6, 2007

Ahhh...the evil letter. Well, we all get them, sooner or later. And maybe more than just one. Anyway, I would certainly send a "thank you for your time, etc." email/formal note. Praise the interviewer/school to keep the doors opened. Maybe you were just not the right "fit" from his perspective and another position may suit everyone better (including you). You must have done something right to get a second. Then, I would ask him for pointers that he may have in the interviewing process so that you can improve your skills for future interviews that you may have in the field, not just that particular district. He may be honest and he may not be, but just be prepared to take constructive criticism.

Now, go eat some chocolate and do something not related to job hunting or school...it's summer.

Good Luck. I read your pain.

4. Occabacca

Occabacca Companion

Jul 6, 2007

Thanks or the encouraging words and advice.
    Right now I am going to take a nap while my little one is doing so.

I will be working on my thank you note and posting it to see if it alright to send and get some feedback on.

Aggggh, I am so disappointed :(

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2007

It's stressful. I remember being in the same boat. I remember getting about 5 rejection letters before finally being hired. Just don't give up! If you work hard on getting a great portolio together, work on your interviewing skills, and get some experience in the meanwhile (subbing, student aid), then you will get hired. Sometimes, things don't happen the way you want them too, because something better, or more suited is supposed to happen to you.

Send him a thankyou letter, because a postition MAY come up in the near future and may keep you in mind.

6. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Jul 6, 2007

You only got 5? Yesterday someone said they got enough to wall paper their house with!!! LOL!!!
    STudent Teacher, I do feel your pain. I found out yesterday I didn't get hired in a district I wanted to be in too. PM me if you want. <<<<Hugs to you>>>> I wish we could go out to lunch together. It is so emotionally draining and discouraging because you are not sure what your next step will be.

7. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 6, 2007

teach123, studenteacher, anyone else???

Wish it wasn't so far to my brother's in Lancaster. We could do lunch if I was visiting this year. Oh, well...virtual lunch???

yes, it is very discouraging. Sometimes I feel like I should just not post, maybe not even read these, because I have become so negative and don't want to keep dragging people down. OTOH posting and reading are better than keeping it all in. And, like peachyness says, using this time to perfect interviewing/job finding skills. Something will happen for all of us.

8. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Jul 6, 2007

Let me know when you get out to Lancaster and maybe we can meet somewhere for lunch. That would be great!!!
    As far as posting, I have felt the same way, but I am glad when others post their heartbreaks. It helps me know I am not alone when there are so many on the forum who have gotten jobs.

9. Occabacca

Occabacca Companion

Jul 6, 2007

You are all so wonderful, thanks for picking me up when I feel so down.

It is so frustrating to go through this, at least we are in it together!

I knew last night in the pit of my stomach that letter was coming today, only because they told me i would hear by friday. So as I laid on the couch last night till 3:30 am (because the tossing and turning would have eventually woke my husband up) I thought to myself what if I never get hired around here, we can't move my husband has too good of a job to lose. I have a 2 yr old son who is my heartbeat, I want so desperately to have another child but can't until we have duel incomes. My mind just raced on for hours, what if ,what if not, I hate that I do this to mysef, I try to be positive but it is so hard at times!!

You gals are the greatest and I so appreciate the wonderful support you provide me.

Virtual lunch would be fantastic:love:

10. Occabacca

Occabacca Companion

Jul 6, 2007

teach I tried to pm you but said you have no room for my msg.
    Now I'm even getting rejected on pm's lol

11. pmfawcett

pmfawcett Rookie

Jul 6, 2007

I'm sorry to hear about the rejection letter. In the past 6 years, I've probably been on close to 25 interviews and gotten rejection letters for 22 jobs (I was a TA, taught at a charter school, and now I'm teaching at the cyber school in Midland). It's hard in the Pittsburgh area to get a job, especially right out of college. The teaching job market here sucks. Many friends of mine had to sub or be a teaching assistant for 3-6 years before getting a contract. It's especially hard in our county, as enrollments are declining and there is a lot of nepotism. Good luck with the interview process.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2007

I'm sorry. Believe me, we've all been there. It stinks, but please remember that things will work out.

Have you considered moving to Las Vegas? I teach here and I love it! We are in need of lots of good teachers. Let me know if I can help in any way.

13. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Jul 7, 2007

Sorry about that. We were away for a few days, so I will empty some of my messages so you can PM me.

14. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Jul 8, 2007

I'm so sorry. I hope you had some time to clear your head and have some fun. Where in PA area you?

15. Occabacca

Occabacca Companion

Jul 9, 2007

I am doing better, thanks to all the great people on this forum.

I live in the beaver county area, where are you located in PA?

16. luvtoteach

luvtoteach Rookie

Jul 9, 2007

I know how you feel! It is so HARD and darn frustrating trying to find a job! Out of the five interviews I have had, I got one job (last year, but I am not going back because it is too far to drive and it is a REALLY hard school to work in), but ZERO rejection letters/calls/e-mails. So when I am waiting to hear about a job I really want, I hear NOTHING! Oh, how it drives me crazy! Why can't they just take a minute to e-mail? I am waiting to hear this week about one interview I had last week. I sent out a letter of thanks the day after the interview and a quickie e-mail today (just to keep my name fresh in her head!). Now I am just waiting again!:rolleyes:

I wish you the very best in your job-hunting. Don't give up faith! You know that something will come, even if it is not the time this year. It is hard at times, but I do believe in it happening when and where it should!