VPK Homework

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by gpsysngbrd, Aug 10, 2013.

1. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Aug 10, 2013

What kind of homework do you give your Pre-K students (4s and young 5s)? At my old center I used to copy 3 -4 worksheets from this great workbook I have but Id like to get away from that. I'm looking for things my kids can do at home that wont take more than 15 or 20 minutes and wont take me FOREVER to make.

Thanks!

3. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2013

Do you have to send homework? As a K teacher, usually my only homework was reading each night.

4. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Aug 10, 2013

The only homework my Kindergarteners get is reading. They take home the book that they work on during guided reading class to read to their family. My feeling is that after being in school for 7 hours/day, what 5 year olds need to do the most is play.

I realize that some teachers are required to send home more homework. I am extremely grateful that I do not have to.

5. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Aug 10, 2013

In my program we're not allowed to use dittos or worksheets. I do a homework caldendar similar to this one http://www1.pgcps.org/uploadedFiles...ool Child and Parent Calendar October2012.pdf

I start it in September and do activities for Monday-Thursday. I try to relate activities to our monthly themes and my unit objectives. I also try to use it to teach parents how to incorporate learning into their day without worksheets. For example, if we're working on counting 1-10, an activity might be "Count all of the windows in your home" or "count all the socks in your bedroom". I do the same with literacy, like "draw a picture of a food that starts with b" or "clap the syllables in everyone in your family's names".

6. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Aug 10, 2013

sevenplus I always have to positive reviews from my parents. Especially kids with older siblings. When brother or sister are doing their homework they do their homework and it keeps parents in on what we are doing in the classroom.

Preschool0929 - I like the calendar idea. Thanks

7. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 17, 2013

I send home books to be read to them or later in the year, for them to read to their parents! I also will send home high frequency words (10) on a ring to practice each week (starting in October). Right now I am sending home lined paper to practice writing their name. However, I never ask for them to return it. I just want them to practice. I tell some of the parents their child needs to work on cutting and encourage them to get a pile of newspapers and start cutting. Or to build fine motor skills work with clay or playdough. I feel like anything else is not really age appropriate. They need to get outside and play! I always tell them that is their homework!!!:)