vowel pairs..how to teach them?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by morgie, Nov 14, 2005.

1. morgie

morgie Rookie

Nov 14, 2005

I am a student in college majoring in education and am taking a reading methods class where we have to come up with phonics lessons. I am having difficulty with this class and i have to come up with a lesson for a class to teach vowel pairs..and have no idea how to do to this? Can anyone give me any idea?
    Thanks

3. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 14, 2005

4. morgie

morgie Rookie

Nov 14, 2005

yes kind of..i already looked at that before..but the problem with that was someone already taught w as a vowel and used aw,ew,ow..so it doesn't help me...i was thinking vowel pairs like ea..ou..ee..ai..things like that..but not sure how to make a lesson out of that.

5. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Nov 14, 2005

on www.pbskids.org they have a show called between the lions, they have a little thing aoubt some of the vowels. the sing a song called "when two vowels go walking the first one does the talking" You could look at that and incorporate with some worksheets. maybe your library has the videos of the show and you could just show that part for your presentation. And then go in further. there is also a part on double vowels I think.

6. jcg

jcg Cohort

Nov 14, 2005

I just tell the kids the first one says it name, the second one is silent.

7. SportsFanTr

SportsFanTr Companion

Nov 15, 2005

Here's a chant I got from my mentoring teacher:

When two vowels go walking side by side,
    The first one says its name with pride.

8. morgie

morgie Rookie

Nov 15, 2005

what is a good activity to do with vowel pairs though?

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2005

You could give out cards with letters on them and then build words with the kids- the kids stand up and make the word, change one letter at time. Follow up with word work on white boards

PS- first one does the talking is such a fallacy - too many cases where it doesn't apply. Teach it as a strategy for reading words but it doesn't always work.....

10. morgie

morgie Rookie

Nov 15, 2005

how would that work with vowel pairs..giving each one a card with a vowel pair on them...or what? I don't exactly know how to use vowel pairs and make it into a lesson..i know that vowel pairs are to vowels like ea or ai but...how can that put me put into a activity for kids?

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2005

you could make one kid the ai or ea combination for example or better yet, give different kids differnt vowels- when a stands up in an ai word the sound is /a/ but when a stands up in the ea combination word the sound is /e/. build different words.

Then have kids do a word hunt for vowel pair words in room-come back and share, put in categories on chart??

12. morgie

morgie Rookie

Nov 15, 2005

however i am teaching this in my college reading methods class to college students but teaching it as if they are at that level..i need something that isn't so moving around.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2005

Kids need to move around.

PS I don't get teaching 'w' as a vowel- it just isn't. Sometimes 'y' can act as a vowel but not W

14. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Nov 16, 2005

I would start by introducing the "two vowels go walking rule". Then give them a poem or story with lots of two vowel words and then have them highlight the vowel pairs (start with one pair at a time, such as ai). Read the words and poem together and then have them try to find words in books that follow that pattern. This would be a good opportunity to discuss words that don't follow the rule, such as "said". Another activity is making words. Give them cards with the vowels and have them make the vowel pairs. Then give them other cards with consonants and have them make words with the vowel pairs.

15. morgie

morgie Rookie

Nov 16, 2005

what makes "said" not a vowel pair?

16. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Nov 16, 2005

When two vowels go walking, the first one does the talking. or- Two vowels get together and they play a game, the first one speaks, it says its letter name.
    "said" doesn't follow the rule because the sound isn't long a

17. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Nov 16, 2005

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 16, 2005

OK- so ea isn't a vowel pair either because "I've already read that book"- the ea is making the short /e/ sound, not saying it's name. And 'ai' in RAIN is a vowel pair because the 'a' does say its name (but not in 'said' so /ai/ IS or IS NOT a vowel pair??????) ...... see why kids have a hard time with this????? DO NOT teach when two vowels go walking as a hard and fast rule- it's just not reliable!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 16, 2005

Most grammar and spelling rules in English aren't true all of the time. That's why it's one of the most difficult languages to learn!

20. Amy S

Amy S New Member

Nov 16, 2005

Our school adopted a program called Project Read. It's great for teaching the basics of phonics. For vowel pairs we introduce all the ways a vowel makes it's long sound with each pair - starting with the vowel that has the least pairs and building like a pyramid to the vowel with the most - /e/ Each student uses different methods to remember the sound the pair makes - sky writing, memory box - container with sand to write the letters to make the sound - tracing letters on paper with glue and saying the sounds. It's a lot of repetition, but the kids really get it and remember it.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 16, 2005

All languages are about equally difficult to learn: they just tend to have their difficulties in different places.

22. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Nov 16, 2005

It isn't a difficult language to learn, but I suppose it can't be taught following similar methods used to teach other languages.

23. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 16, 2005

That's what I meant. There are plenty of grammar and spelling "rules" but they're not true in all cases which can get confusing.

24. teachfirst

teachfirst Rookie

Nov 16, 2005

Or...when two vowels go walking
    the first one does the talking.

Corny, but cute and easy to remember.

It works for most vowel pairs.

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 16, 2005

I think you'll find that's true in pretty much any language. English tends to have its untidinesses in the graphophonemic (spelling-to-sound) links, but other languages have grammatical gender or lots of different endings on verbs - some languages even have infixes (imagine something that works like a prefix or suffix but that goes IN THE MIDDLE of the word). Vowels are part of the grammar in Semitic languages like Arabic and Hebrew. And to become reasonably literate in Chinese requires mastery of about 20,000 logograms.

26. kathysan

kathysan New Member

Nov 22, 2005

What about "oo" in cool? Isn't that a vowel pair? This was marked wrong on my daughter's paper because she included it in the vowel pairs. Definition in their book "In a vowel pair, two vowels come together to make one long vowel sound."

27. aorth83

aorth83 Rookie

Nov 22, 2005

that is not a vowel pair (oo) it is a double vowel. My reading methods teacher taught us that if it is a double vowel it is not a vowel pair. Confusing...yes.

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 22, 2005

How irritating- isn't the point that kids can read vowel pairs in words not just rattle off what the pairs are?? I mean here we are, a bunch of educated professionals and we can't agree on them!! Why test a kid on whether oo is a vowel pair or not? Can she read it and make the correct sound in moon and spoon and then again in cook and book? If she can, that's all that really matters!! UGH!! As if kids aren't tested enough they're given tests on this????? No wonder schools get a bad rap.

29. kathysan

kathysan New Member

Nov 22, 2005

agreed

I agree. This teacher is extremely picky and expects a lot of 8 year olds, I think. She's a perfectionist and expects the kids to be too. My daughter brings home A's and A+ on papers, but then they'll be all marked up with red ink to correct the slant or the width of a cursive letter. It doesn't do much for her self esteem. She feels like she can't be good enough. It's a lot of pressure for an 8 year old.