Voting and Election

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Historyteaching, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Mar 24, 2012

Its the week before Spring Break. We've just completed a 9 day series on the essence of democracy what pulls us together (freedom, opportunity, hard choices, deliberation, etc). At a conference this past December, I signed up to get free lesson material from Rock the Vote, I got it...its a one day deal. *boo* I plan to use it as an ending, but trying to find other just as upbeat active things to go along with voting/elections. These are 9th graders.

I typically like lessons where they are doing different things, not just "read article, summarize, let's discuss" or "lecture, take notes, discussion included"...especially with this group of kids-good group discipline wise and most have a decent level of understanding, they are just active kids (tons of sports kids who have energy):thanks:

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 24, 2012

We have called the court house and arranged for them to bring voting machines to the building and actually let the kids vote. We do it before the actual elections, and then they compare their voting results to the general public.

4. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Mar 24, 2012

Hello..We've done that before too..Was trying to think of things that last the entire week and more age appropriate since my students can't vote for another 4 years. Thanks for your input!

5. MissMatty

MissMatty Rookie

Mar 28, 2012

This could be dangerous depending on your kids (and I have no idea whether this is history based enough), but if it were my class, I would have them pretend the school/classroom is a 'country' and have them form groups (political parties), and spend lessons writing political speeches, creating platforms, campaigns and so forth.

6. Red Apple

Red Apple Rookie

Mar 29, 2012

Could you have a local politician come in and talk with them? I don't know where you are located but maybe a state government representative or someone.

The other idea would be to have a series of debates.