vote on BB slogan please

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by lcluigs03, Aug 5, 2006.

1. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Aug 5, 2006

either:

baseball: Mrs. Smith's team is ready for a homerun year (i will have snoopy throwing a baseball, student's name on bats or balls and all this set on a baseball field)

football: Mrs. Smith's team is ready for a touchdown (i will have snoopy throwing a football with woodstock receiving, student's name on footballs and all this set on a football field)

i like them both, but am unsure of the football slogan. which do you like and do you have any suggestions for the football one? thanks for your input!
    LC

3. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Aug 5, 2006

I like the football one.....and with fall being football season I think it's a good choice.

Are you doing a sports theme all year? You could use the baseball one at the end of the year and have it say "Mrs. Smith's Team had a Homerun Year" and have kids write/draw their favorite parts of the year etc.

Just my 2 cents.

4. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Aug 5, 2006

you're right! thanks!

the whole building is doing a sports theme...meant to be "teamwork" stuff. it's good, but not really my thing. so i threw the peanuts gang in with it...i LOVE them!

thanks again!
    LC

5. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 5, 2006

With the football one, what about
    "Mrs. Smith's class is ready to tackle new things"

6. worrywart

worrywart Companion

Aug 5, 2006

Mrs. Smith's team is ready to make a touchdown!

7. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Aug 5, 2006

thanks for the ideas! keep 'em comin'!!!!

LC

8. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Aug 6, 2006

For football you could do something like "Kicking off a new (or great) year in Mrs. Smith's Room" or something similar. Hang green paper and make a field goal out of white paper. Put all the kids names on cut out footballs.

9. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Aug 6, 2006

Oh and one of the teachers at my school has the cutest sports theme curtains with baseballs, footballs, and basketballs all over them.

10. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 6, 2006

I'm a baseball fan (Go, Cardinals!!) and I have to vote for the baseball theme! In fact, I have decided to use a team/baseball theme in my own class this year.

11. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 6, 2006

I like idea of "Kicking off a new school year in Mrs. Smith's Room."
    But I would use the classroom #, not the teacher's name. You want them to get used to being addressed as Example--Room 209 not Mrs. Smith's room.
    When you address them as a class, you will probably say "Room 209, settle down." You wouldn't say "Mrs. Smith's room, settle down."
    Gives them a sense of ownership.

12. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Aug 6, 2006

I agree with using the football theme first. It makes sense since it will be football season. If you are doing the teamwork theme all year, I like Ctopher's idea about making a baseball board at the end of the year. :)

13. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Aug 6, 2006

As an elementary teacher I 'm not sure I agree. At my school each class is referred to by the teacher's name. I don't even think I know what my room number is-it's just the music room, and across the hall is "Mrs.____'s room". But, I think that is just depends on how things are done from school to school. And in middle school I understand how it would be different too.

14. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 6, 2006

I like the baseball one better

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2006

I agree with musicteach...I teach middle school and would never address my students as "Room 117". But, hey, whatever works for us all! :)

As far as the voting goes, I don't like football so I would go for the baseball theme on the board...but I do admit I like the suggestion of having football at the beginning and baseball at the end.

Go Reds...and Mets :p

16. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 6, 2006

It never even occured to me that teachers addressed their classes by the teacher's name. But now that a few of you are saying it happens, I kind of like that idea.

So instead of calling them by their classroom number, I would just say "Class" or Mrs. ------"s class"?
    Seriously! I'm trying this on for size because I want to see if I can change the habit I've developed of calling them by room number.

At my first school, that's hoiw they did it and it just stuck. Doesn't mean I can't unstick it right?:)

17. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 6, 2006

My class is technically 4C (4th grade, my last name starts with C), but I don't address them as that. I usually say, "4th Grade..." There is only one other section of 4th grade at our school, so it works okay, even if we are on the playground or in an assembly or something.

18. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Aug 6, 2006

Isn't it fun to learn new ideas!? Anyway....When the kids are referring to whose class they are in, they say, "I'm in Mrs.___'s class". If the secretary is calling a class over the intercom to dismiss they call "Mrs.____'s class". Now, if I am working on a program and have several classes in one room I refer to them as "Mrs.____'s Class" needs to sit here, "Mrs.___'s class here....you get the picture. But if just one class is in my classroom I just say "Class", "Boys & Girls", or sometimes "Mrs.___'s class". You know...now that I think of it when I taught 2nd grade for summer school, I would say to my own class, "Mrs.'Musicteach's'" class is leaving for lunch if they were being poky in the bathrooms and we were lined up to go to lunch.

Try it out and see if you like it!:)

LC: Did you decide on a b.b. phrase?

19. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Aug 7, 2006

i think i'm going to use this saying. the only thing is...my snoopy is throwing the ball...not kicking it. however, i don't really think many will notice but me! lol.

thanks everyone!

LC