Volunteering

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ScottM, Feb 8, 2016.

1. ScottM

ScottM Rookie

Feb 8, 2016

Hello all,

I've been reading through a lot of these forum posts, but this is my first post here.

About me:
    I'm a 29-year old former engineer with a BS and an MS in mechanical engineering and two years of experience in industry. Due to eye problems from too much computer use (typically 90% of my time as an engineer), I had to quit my last job and move back in with my parents in Washington state. Now, I'm looking to move to another part of the country, and I'd like to get my certification to teach high school math in my new state. Teaching is something that I wanted to do even before I had my engineering job - my positive experiences as a tutor and grad TA convinced me of that.

I'm still probably months away from deciding where to move, so in the meantime I think volunteering at a local school would be a good way to get some classroom experience (and I've researched some MAT programs that require 40 hours of classroom volunteering to be admitted). But I was wondering a couple things first:

1. A year or two from now when I am applying for positions at schools in my new state, do you think schools would care if I did volunteering in Washington? Or would they prefer someone who had more local experience?
    2. What's the best way to contact these schools regarding volunteering? Should I walk in and introduce myself, or will a phone call or e-mail suffice?

Anything that you guys would like to share about your volunteering experience would be helpful too.

3. mickapoo

mickapoo Rookie

Feb 26, 2016

Hi Scott,
    I'm not sure about your first question, but regarding contacting the schools you can do this one of two ways. You can contact your county's office and speak to the volunteer coordinator. They will explain the process involved with volunteering (fingerprinting, background check, etc...) or if you know the school at which you would like to volunteer, you can call there directly and ask to speak to their volunteer coordinator. Not all schools have them (at least not all of ours do, more so they tend to be in elementaries) so you might be better off contacting the county's volunteer department.