Volunteering Abroad

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Miss Kirby, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Oct 19, 2008

So I've been thinking about teaching abroad for about a year. I found a program that some people on here recommended that I was very interested in, teaching in England for a year. I wanted to wait until I finished grad school, which will be in May, so I could do it next school year. I'm not sure I'm ready to leave my school yet. I love my school and I love my district, but I know I won't stay there forever. I just don't know when would be the right time to leave. I also am nervous about being in a different country for a YEAR without my family and friends, when I now still live at home! That's a big change! So, I was thinking about volunteering abroad this summer. I'd go by myself, and it would be for 2-3 weeks, so it would be a good opportunity. I could stay at my school for another year. It would give me a year to move out and live on my own. Then, if I decided to go teach in England then I would be better prepared. However, it's so hard to plan life. Who knows what I'll be thinking by then. :confused:

Anyway, has anyone volunteered abroad for the summer? There are several websites but I wonder if there are any out there that you have used, and what kinds of experiences you have had. Thanks.

3. glenn

glenn Rookie

Oct 19, 2008

I have thought it would be neat to volunteer abroad for a couple of weeks during the summer. I would like to go to Thailand. English is a mandatory school subject in Thailand. In the past I have not done it I guess because I am just plain chicken. Now the cost and other factors really prevent me from going this summer. If it is something you really want to do I would take a step of faith and just go.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 19, 2008

When I was first starting my career, I took a leave position for a teacher who went to China to teach English for a year. She returned to our school after that year, stayed a couple of more years with us, and then returned to teach overseas full time.

She loved it.

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Oct 26, 2008

Okay I maybe found a website. It seems pretty legit.
    http://www.culturalembrace.com/
    They have a volunteering program and a paid teaching program as well..... Hmm what to do, what to do!

6. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Oct 26, 2008

I spent the 2nd half of my student teaching in Ireland. I went through a cultural immersion project through my university. It was a great experience. I was there for 10 weeks. I was able to travel around Europe (Italy, France, England) too. Some universities have summer programs. The program I went through offers the program in the summer. If I were you I would do some research on different programs and see which one is the best. I would recommend going longer than 2-3 weeks. I would say 5-6 weeks. This will give you a better feel for how you will be able to handle a long period of time without family and friends. Because that is really tough (it was for me at least). Good luck!

7. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Oct 26, 2008

Okay, on that website they have a summer program where you are gone 1-3 months. I could look into that more.

I would do love to go to Ireland but I don't see that as a choice on that site. But there is a lot on there so I just need to keep looking. So far, I've just done some google searches and this site seems to be the most informative.

8. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Oct 26, 2008

Another option is I could do 2 weeks in Australia and 2 weeks in New Zealand.