Volunteer in my class

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by MathGuy31, Dec 1, 2018.

1. MathGuy31

MathGuy31 Rookie

Dec 1, 2018

Hello all,
    I have a volunteer in my algebra 1 and 2 classes that occasionally comes in about twice a week on average. This person comes in and tries to help with students in math. He was an engineer for over 30 years and has a degree in engineering. However... Sometimes when I teach he gets confused, asks me questions, or sometimes will tell me a better way of doing math problems. This volunteer will do it even when several other students have their hand up. He has never taught in any school. It was quite annoying last week when students were unsure of a problem in class and he was raising his hand, acting confused, and then told me in front of the class a better way to do the problem which I didn't agree. He felt bad and is being nice. Students don't seem to want to ask him for help and are a little annoyed ( a big majority don't want his help when he goes around and tries to help). I feel as though as a volunteer, things should be less stressful, but I am realizing it's a bit more stressful when he is around. Should I wait this out? It's his first semester helping out and he wants to sit in classes to help. Should I talk to him about it? Should I address my concerns to my principal? I understand he is retired and it's very generous what he does, however I shouldn't feel more stressed having a volunteer around. I am polite to him and thank him each time he comes in. I like volunteers but I feel like I shouldn't have to reteach this person material or be critiqued. I have given him a week in advance worksheets so he can look at material in advance but that doesn't seem to be working.

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 2, 2018

See if he would like to volunteer with some of the academic competition teams. A Robotics team or Science Olympiad team might love to get his help. Of course see if they would accept it before pawning him off onto them.

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Dec 2, 2018

I would tell him that he needs to speak with you before teaching the kids different strategies for solving math problems. Tell him that you have planned the strategies you are teaching for a specific reason, etc.

MathGuy31 likes this.
  5. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Dec 2, 2018

I find this extremely annoyed. I have had volunteers come in to my room in previous years. A few of the volunteers tried to take over my classroom.
    examples: tried to help a student take a test (giving answers, but the wrong ones); took the entire class out to the playground with my aide while I was grabbing something from the storage room. Oh...yeah....and a volunteer argued with me in the middle of my class.

I do understand the volunteers are trying to assist in their way possible. However, volunteers need to follow directions and only the directions. It is not a matter of teaching ability, it is a matter of following directions and completing the tasks you were brought in to do.

MathGuy31 likes this.