Volleyball with 2nd grade?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Springdruidess, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Springdruidess

Springdruidess Rookie

Oct 6, 2006

Hi all

I'm student teaching and my CT has asked me to come up with some lesson ideas for next week for our phys ed class. This month the 'topic' is Volleyball. So far the kids have been working on throwing and catching with a partner (developing accuracy) and setting the ball against the gym walls. Their last class introduced using beach balls and setting a ball to a partner - proved very difficult as the beach balls are hard to accurately toss to a partner. My question is - does anyone have some fun ideas for how to teach volleyball skills to seven year olds? They don't really have the strength or accuracy to play 'real' volleyball, but so far I haven't been able to come up with any ideas of what else to do with them. Thanks!

3. Doublescoop

Doublescoop Companion

Oct 6, 2006

lol They're waaaaay too young to perform volleyball skills. It wasn't that long ago that they just learned to walk and many can barely throw and catch yet. I coach volleyball to 7th and 8th graders and it's difficult for them to master the skills but there are many times when I just have them "get under the ball" and catch it. Could you set up badminton nets that are lower and just have the kids play catch across it?

4. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Oct 6, 2006

Those giant nerf-type foam balls are fun to use to practice throwing and catching.

5. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

Oct 7, 2006

what about...

letting them play Prisoner? It's played with a volleyball net and ball and involves lots of throwing nd catching. I also agree that 2nd graders are too young to be able to master "real" volleyball yet. Even my Jr High students love Prisoner

6. Springdruidess

Springdruidess Rookie

Oct 7, 2006

Thanks for the replies! Um, how do you play prisoner? I've never heard of it...

7. BizTeach

BizTeach Rookie

Oct 7, 2006

I too coach middle school volleyball and agree it's hard to enough to get this age level to perform the correct techniques. One thing that you may try though is a passing drill that I use sometimes. See if you can get some very large clean trash cans or large boxes and place them near the net, these are the targets. Toss the ball to the child and see if they can pass it into the target. The students may at least have some fun trying and think about how excited they'll be if they actually make it! Also, from a coaching stand point it would help us coaches out if you could possible stop a bad habit from forming before it starts. Make sure that the students are not interlacing their fingers when putting their arms out for a pass. This will be something that they will want to do, but safety issues come into play later on with this form as they grow older and will be going for digs. Hope this helps you out a little and good luck.

8. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Oct 7, 2006

Volleyball and seven year olds? WOW!!! Not sure if this will help, but when I had to teach PE in an undergraduate placement I used this website a lot!!! www.pecentral.com

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 7, 2006

You can teach volleyball to 7 year olds but you may not teach all of the techniques (I am not sure if this is the right technical term). Volleyball is one of the sports that my county's Special Olympics program offers. My grade K-2 mild autism class participated in volleyball for 2 years. We learned how to rotate and to "set" the ball. The students did a 2-handed throw over the net when serving. We did not introduce "bumping" but some of them naturally did this with one arm. We started off with just balloons, then moved on to beach balls. We did not use volleyballs.