volcanoes - 3rd grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Jenlovestoteach, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Jenlovestoteach

Jenlovestoteach Comrade

Jan 9, 2007

Hi all --

There are lots of different recipes online for volcanoes... I've nver made one and my 3rd grade teachers want me to push in and for each table of kids to make their own volcanoes over the next 2 or 3 weeks. I don't want a huge disaster or mess so I'm hoping that someone on here has a great, surefire recipe that won't need to be done outside...

I'd appreciate any and all help!! Thanks!

3. Jenlovestoteach

Jenlovestoteach Comrade

Jan 10, 2007

anyone?

I'm wondering just how messy this will get.... if we can do it in the classroom or if it's a recipe for disaster....

4. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Jan 10, 2007

baking soda, vinegar, and red food coloring. I don't know exact amounts. You could do it inside. If you're asking about the volcano itself I'm not real sure.

5. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Jan 11, 2007

Baking soda and vinegar is less "eruptive" than soda and mentos.
    For any recipe, the size of the eruption is based on the amount of liquid you use, in other words simply use less...(I recommend 12 or 16 fluid ounces bottles.)

In order to aid in clean-up containerize the volcano inside a large baking dish or container. (I put the volcano inside a 13x9x2 aluminum disposable baking liner).

I did this with soda and mentos and it was an easy clean-up! (We still went outside to conduct the experiments, because the class only had room for 5 volcanoes and we wanted every student [20] to be able to "erupt" their very own .)

If you want to be really sure of an easy clean-up cover the desks/table with wax paper and/or newspapers. (This is how I prevent spills for other messy experiments, like flooding and earthquakes.)

Good luck!

6. kburen

kburen Cohort

Jan 12, 2007

To actually MAKE the volcano....You can use play-dough already made or use an online recipe and make your own (we did in the 5th grade class that I did my student teaching in). Then as everyone else has said little (very little) bit of water....baking soda (a good bit) and vinegar....the more baking soda and vinegar the bigger the "eruption". Mentos and diet soda work even better, but you can't get the "lava" color from that like you can if you use vinegar and baking soda with food coloring. Either way....The eruption is best to occur outside...The kids will have much more fun this way and it's less mess for you to clean up.

7. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Jan 12, 2007

If you want the lava color... make can use Code Red, Big Red, or put red food coloring into a soda such as Sprite, 7UP, or Mountain Dew.

And yes, Diet Coke does work the best, but the alternatives still do erupt very nicely.