Voicing an opinion

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jlj, Oct 21, 2007.

1. jlj

jlj Devotee

Oct 21, 2007

Not sure if this is okay to post here or not but I feel it's important to get the word out. If not allowed someone will let me know. We all know of books we feel not suitable for certain ages. We also don't all always agree on which books are suitable. That said, Scholastic has a couple out that are very misleading for children. One is for younger children, one for teens. They have questions asked by children and the answers are depicted as being from God. Problem is they are not Bible based answers! If someone is going to "guide/direct/advise" on the premise of it being from God they should make sure that it is of God which means get your info from the Bible, God's Holy Word!!! As a Christian, parent, grandparent and teacher this is very disturbing to me! Please be aware of what your children are reading and what is being read to them! I know from reading on this site that there are a lot of Christian teachers here, so please spread the word.

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Oct 21, 2007

Just curious, do you have titles? I'd be interested in knowing about them...

4. jlj

jlj Devotee

Oct 21, 2007

Conversations With God and Conversations With God for Teens. Some of the "answers" are very disturbing!!

5. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Oct 21, 2007

Thanks for the warning.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 21, 2007

I just looked up the author online...The author of these books, Neale Donald Walsch : "studied The Bible, the Rig Veda and the Upanishads. He says his books are not channelled, but rather that they are inspired by God and that they can help a person relate to Him from a modern perspective. Walsch believes in a pantheistic God, who tries to communicate Himself as being unselfish. His vision expressed is of a New Spirituality: an expansion and unification of all present theologies; . He created Humanity's Team as a spiritual movement whose purpose is to communicate and implement New Spirituality beliefs, particularly that we are all one with God and one with life, in a shared global state of being."...

Of course, all faiths are not going to believe in the same thing or agree with everything in these books. So, buyer beware. You say that " If someone is going to "guide/direct/advise" on the premise of it being from God they should make sure that it is of God which means get your info from the Bible, God's Holy Word!!!" Keep in mind though, that not all who beleive in god are Christian and that not all who believe in God see the Bible as the one and only book of knowledge. By all means, guide your children as you see fit, don't buy the book if it goes against your sensibilities. (Good advice for any book - not just these!!)

7. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Oct 21, 2007

Keep your religions out of school, people. :down:

8. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Oct 21, 2007

I agree that it is very important to know what your kids or students are reading. A few years ago I found a book in our school library about a daycare that was performing satanic rituals with their students. The book showed the little children dancing naked around a pentegram, and talked about how the teachers would take "pictures" of them. This was a children's PICTURE BOOK! I was shocked and immediately showed it to the principal and threw it away. Weird- what sick person would write a childrens book about that??
    Just curious- what were some of the parts of the book that were disturbing?

9. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Oct 21, 2007

In a bad mood today? Is it the Santa Ana's? :)
    We're allowed to talk about religions and since religion is such a huge chunk of history, it is in the curriculum...

10. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Oct 21, 2007

Nobody here is talking about religions in school. We are merely discussing a book- and we're not in school now!

11. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Oct 21, 2007

Overreaction. Mea Culpa. :|

12. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Oct 21, 2007

There, that's better. Remember to stay out of that devil wind now. :D

13. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Oct 21, 2007

I wish I could but I've been listening to the wind all day and choking on smoke. The entire sky is black. :(

14. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Oct 21, 2007

Really? Where are you? I can smell the smoke from here but can't see it. I thought San Berdoo was on fire again.

15. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Oct 21, 2007

Camarillo, CA.

16. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Oct 21, 2007

Is it really black and smoky there or are you just kidding? ummm.... this is hijacking... oops, sorry, OP.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 21, 2007

Judging from the reports I've finally started tracking, it's well and truly ugly up your way, Jarenko. It's not nice down here near the border, either.

18. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 21, 2007

This isn't about religion in school, and if someone would like to bring up religion on this forum they are very welcome to. If you dont like it stay away from the thread! ;)

jlj, I have heard about this and it's actually a bit of an old book. When the "warning" first came out it was a couple years ago, so possible the warning just came back again because I have not seen the book in a Scholastic order form. I do agree with it though, the title is misleading for many Christian families who are trying to raise their children in a proper and traditional Christian environment. It goes beyond just interpretting scripture differently, it's not truthfully Biblically based...it's based on the author's meer opinions. If someone actually read the book and studied the Bible, they'd see the two are not anywhere near correlated.

19. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Oct 23, 2007

Can someone give an example that shows that it is contradictory? I do not own the book nor have access to a copy. Not trying to debate religion, just genuinely curious. Thanks.

20. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 23, 2007

I would just say that the title is misleading. When you say "God" most people in the US think of the God of the Bible. If it is the god of another religion, it should say so, such as "Conversations with Allah," then everyone would be clued in as to what the book is really about.

The channeling thing - that would be in opposition to most of the major faiths that are represented where Scholastic book orders go, so it is an odd thing to say the least.

21. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2007

Then the suggestion is that we, personally, should follow only a Bible-based religion, and that no one should write a book about God that doesn't base itself on the Bible.

22. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Oct 23, 2007

Yes ma'am, and its hotter than the devils bathwater too. :eek:

23. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2007

3Sons, I don't think that's what was meant. The thing is that "God" is the English name for the God of the Torah or the Bible. If you capitalize the g, it's the name. God is not the name for Allah, or Buddha, or Shiva in English. So if you name a book "Conversations with God" people would naturally expect that it's going to be bible-based.

That is not invalidating other religions or arguing whether we all worship the same God no matter what the name is or anything like that.

I understand your concerns but it really should never come up in a public school classroom in this manner you mentioned. When religions are discussed it is usually within the context of history/social studies, occasionally primary teachers might talk/read stories about Christmas but then they are supposed to talk/read about other religious celebrations, too. If your kid gets some kind of pressure definitely speak up about it, that would be wrong.

24. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 23, 2007

I wish I could. I would perhaps look up reviews on the internet for it. You may get better responses there.

On a side note, I do not think jlj brought this up to warn teachers in general, but more the private school teachers and parents. When jlj mentioned "children" I took it as our own children, as parents. As Christian parent myself, I appreciate this kind of information.

25. snoangel

snoangel Rookie

Oct 23, 2007

This topic wouldn't brought up in my class. I just wanted to say that one person's interpretation of the Bible could be completely different from another person's.

26. jlj

jlj Devotee

Oct 23, 2007

Okay, I didn't mean to cause a debate about religion. I just heard about these books through a Christian organization for teachers & Directors. I agree with their concerns & wanted to pass the info to others.
    Here's the info I received:
    The author purports to answer questions asked by kids using the "voice of God". Paraphrased - when a girl asks "Why am I a lesbian?" his answer- she was born that way because of genetics (just as you were born right-handed, with brown eyes, etc). then he tells her to go out & "celebrate" her differences.
    Another girl asks- I am living with my boyfriend. My parents say i should marry him because I am living in sin. Should I marry him" his reply- "Who are you sinning against? Not me, because you have done nothing wrong" Another question asks about God's forgiveness of sin, his reply "I do not forgive anyone because there is nothing to forgive. There is no such things as right or wrong & that is what I have been trying to tell everyone, do not judge people. People have chosen to judge one another & this is wrong, because the rule is "judge not lest ye be judged".
    These books are the false doctrine of the devil & in some instances quote (in error) the Word of God.

Eduk8r - thanks for the explanation about the names and the capitalization of "g" making it a name - "God". I agree, most would automatically think it would be something Bible based.

Now, please don't anyone "attack"! Yes we all have our opinions, our beliefs & I'm voicing mine. As a Christian I felt I should share the info. There are a lot of Christian teachers, parents, Sunday School workers, etc. that I thought might want to know. The title is deceiving. We all know there are many other book titles, religious & secular, with deceiving titles, sometimes used as an attention grabber or whatever. So as the saying goes, "you can't judge a book by it's cover", holds true and we should all be aware. Thanks for listening.

27. jlj

jlj Devotee

Oct 23, 2007

Thanks JenPooh. It's really nice to have a site like this where we can share ideas, thoughts, opinions, etc.
    What I like about this site: having a prayer request forum, people able to share the down to earth "real" happenings in a classroom, good, bad etc., sharing experiences, hopes, dreams....(now I'm tired & getting mushy :yawn:) well it's great!

28. jlj

jlj Devotee

Oct 23, 2007

Off topic for a sec since some of you have posted on here----- To those of you in CA, what we are seeing on the news here in FL about the fires and smoke is terrible! I can't even imagine! Have any of you had to evacuate your homes or schools?

29. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2007

jlj, well obviously the "answers" given in the book are NOT from the bible. God would never tell a lesbian to go out and celebrate, because homosexuality is not condoned in the bible. Nor would he ask someone who is sinning(and I use this word lightly) by living with someone who is not her husband and say that she is doing nothing wrong. The Bible says that living w/ a man before marriage is wrong. Do people do it? Yes. Have people done it for years? Yes.

30. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2007

:2up: Yep! We all sin, but it doesn't mean that God is ok with it.

31. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2007

Our district schools are closed for this whole week. Teachers going in tomorrow, but no students. Lots of nasty smoke and ash everywhere, can't really do anything but stay inside if you want to breathe well... Thankfully the wind has died down so those firefighters can more safely fight the fires. Thanks for asking.

32. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2007

Just got a call--no school for the rest of the week. Wow. Everyone say a prayer for the firefighters and those who live near the fires, please. Sorry to go off topic.

jlj I thank you again for this information. I think it was important to know this.

33. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2007

Please stay safe. Many prayers for you!

34. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2007

Thank you very much, Jen. We are safe here, I don't live near the fire lines. The school I work at is very close, though. It's just smoky air and ashes here. I'm sorry for everyone else though, I know that several teachers who live in the mountain areas already have lost their homes. And I hope that no firefighters will lose their lives, 4 years ago when the fires got bad we lost several.

35. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 24, 2007

The death toll is amazingly low so far, considering.

36. jlj

jlj Devotee

Oct 24, 2007

Okay, I did what I felt lead to do and that was to make others aware and hopefully make us all (including myself!) more alert to what our children are being exposed to (again not only as teachers but as parents!). Now those armed with this info are responsible for making their own decision. After all, isn't that what we do, we read, we research, we ask questions, we pray, etc. about any number of decisions or whatever in our lives, then do our best to make as wise and responsible decisions as we can? Made mine! :peace:

Smalltowngal - Yes, it is obvious that the answers are not Biblical. As for sin, you're right, been around a longggg time. The length of time certain things have been done doesn't make it okay, God's word doesn't change. Like everthing else, people see, hear and understand how and what they want, to suit their own situation or wants or needs. The Bible is full of examples of sin and how God dealt with it and will deal with it. As I said before, this post was not meant to be about religion but rather the concern with the titles being deceiving to some as well as the content of the books.

eduk8r - But it couldn't be healthy for anyone to be out & breathing that yuck! Good they closed the schools, now if the powers that be would stop thinking so much of the almighty dollar and think of their teacher's & staff's health & well being & let you all stay home. When the schools here had to be closed because of hurricane damage the teachers didn't miss much time on the job even though schools were closed they were expected to be there or loose their jobs. Everyone was already stressed to the max dealing with their homes/families yet had to be at school because they are under contract and must show up for work!? Never mind that your home has no roof & your belongings are scattered in the neighborhood, your child's day care and/or school is closed, you have no water or electricity...get to work & don't be late. Sorry! A bit of a rub there! Anyway, I hope you will all be okay and things can get better soon! Take care! God bless!

37. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2007

oh, wow, jlj, that's crazy. I wouldn't be going anywhere if my kids didn't have a safe place, heck with them. Well I guess this makes up for all the snow days we don't get in CA.