Voice Saver

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by dianejw, Jul 19, 2005.

1. dianejw

dianejw Companion

Jul 19, 2005

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the product voice saver or any other product similiar to it. I have started having trouble with my voice during the school year and would like to purchase a mike system that could be used in the classroom.

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2005

This could be interesting! Since I started teaching kindies, I have actually had many throat problems...losing voice, sore throat, dry, strained voice, infections....If there is something out there that could help I would be interested as well. I drank alot of lemon tea and water but if there is something else, I would love to hear about it as well :)

4. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 19, 2005

I had a teacher in high school who used a microphone, because she had problems with her throat. She wore a headset and had two speakers set up in the back of the room. As a student, it took some getting used to, but once we got used to it, it was fine. The one thing I remember is that if she was wandering around the room, while students worked, you couldn't tell by the sound of her voice where she was, so she would all of a sudden show up at your side and you had no idea she was there, because the sound was always coming from the same place - the speakers. This could be an advantage for teachers!!

5. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2005

:) I like the idea of projecting my voice and then showing up somewhere else in the room!! :p

6. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Jul 19, 2005

This past school year I used a microphone with my two hearing impaired students. The first one was the obnoxious tower that screeched whenever I was mispositioned (word?) by it. However, it was good for me because I used it only for math and I didn't have to overwork my voice. Later, we walked into the 21st century with a sensory, infrared (I think) microphone, that was a necklace that was adjusted to move toward your mouth. You operated the power on it and everything else was controlled with the speaker. It was much better than the other one because I would forget to turn it off if I were speaking sensitive information and when I thought only myself and the other heard, my kiddoes all looked at me like, "OK - continue the story!" With the sensory one, whenever my back was facing the speaker, it automatically shut off. My school has the hearing impaired population for my district and we've used mics for a long time. The newer ones are much better. The older ones sometimes would not work or forget to be charged. The students even like using them because they seem "important," as one kiddo told me. The older microphone was tall - maybe 2.5 feet - and needed to be positioned in a good spot. When it worked, it was cool. The was a holder clip for your waist and one for the mic clip for your shirt. The newer mic had a compact speaker, which is much easier to tote, and was easy to place throughout the classroom. I have the name of this mic in my classroom, but I've sworn myself from it for the next two weeks.

7. dianejw

dianejw Companion

Jul 20, 2005

Thanks for all the info indyjo.......do you happen to know how many watts the amp is? They have two voice saver products. The 2 watt one is totally portable, even the amplifier. It is supposed to be perfect for the classroom or small presentations. However they have one that is 5 watts. It also is compact and has a belt clip. However the amplifier is separate.

below is their advertisement for the 5 watt product - They have the best price which is 99.00. The 2 watt product runs 69.00 but I wasn't sure it would work well enough.

Califone PA-285AV - Voice Saver 5 Watt Public Address System

Slim, sleek and powerful, the VoiceSaver is the perfect solution for small to medium-sized groups. For mid-sized groups, the PA-285's 5 watt amplifier is a versatile solution. Connect a laptop computer or LCD projector to add muscle to your media presentations, or plug in the headset mic and clip it to your belt for complete hands-free mobility.

Any thoughts?

8. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Jul 20, 2005

Honestly, I never paid any attention to the wattage. The one you found sounds great for your classroom. Portability and ease of use was important for me because I spoke from different angles of the classroom. I was never in one spot. Therefore, I needed to switch it quickly without having to lug it. I'd go for it. Just remember to charge it nightly!

9. dianejw

dianejw Companion

Jul 20, 2005

I thinkI will go for it! Thanks for your help!