Vocational Teacher

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cutNglue, May 16, 2013.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 16, 2013

Are there any of you here? At any level?

I am going tomorrow for an interview for an organization that places clients with special needs in jobs. Part of the job description relates to going on the job where the client works and teaching the client the skills necessary to perform the job.

I would love tips, common examples, ideas, etc.

3. ajr

ajr Rookie

May 17, 2013

I feel like this is a place where I could easily stick my foot in my mouth, but will comment since there are no replies yet.

I have trained people FOR vocational jobs, but not explicitly in the special needs sense. Doing it at a school was very different from doing it on the job; in general, the on the job training was MUCH more basic than what was taught in votech school, and some of the on-the-job folks definitely had unaddressed needs. Specifically, I was a machinist and I was training machine operators.

If that's the kind of thing you're talking about, I would be glad to answer questions.

4. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 17, 2013

I was a Job Coach for a couple of Summers. I went with the student to their job. Mine happened to work for the school district- cleaning and hooking up computers. It was constant prompting and remind of the task. Do you know how many weeks it takes to clean the keyboards of an entire school district?

Another student in the program had to stuff envelops, many lower functioning students worked as custodial staff.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 17, 2013

My understanding is I won't be a personal attendant necessarily but rather teach them skills or find accommodations to support their needs and then fade out.

I just got back from the interview and let's just say there is A LOT involved, not just on the job coaching! Big job! Their average workload though is 40-50 hours per staff member including paperwork and driving time.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 17, 2013

Apparently there is a wide variety of roles and entirely depends on the client's needs.

Some may just need regular job development such as resume building workshops, etc.

Some may need support in working on polishing up their communication skills, how they present themselves, etc. This could vary from regular interview skills to supporting clients with minimal language skills.

Some may need support with on the job coaching to develop routines using special needs instructional support.

Some may require me to work with employers to develop skills in how to work with the client.

Some may require resources to find assistive devices that might be required.

Some may require that I secure willing employment partners to provide jobs with limited duties (such as the keyboard dusting).

There were a lot more issues and roles than what I presented above but that's the gist of it.