Vocational Program--Outdated Term?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by cutNglue, Feb 8, 2014.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 8, 2014

I'm working with adults with developmental disabilities. We have a day habilitation program, a supported employment program, a vocational training center, a sheltered workshop model, enclaves, and some in competitive employment.

We are trying to think about our marketing. I know some of our program approaches are traditional and need updating and we are working towards that but some of it is at the state level. In the meantime, when I'm out pitching a job for an individual, I worry about stigmas attached to certain words such as vocational training program, day habilitation, or even the word "developmental" in front of disabilities. At the same time, when I'm looking for group work, all of those terms are useful. But for our main brochure and website, we want to revamp some of these ideas. I need some thoughts about how to update these words.

I need a discussion generated outside my office to see what people think of these things and what images it evokes.

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 8, 2014

I don't think 'vocational program' sounds outdated. They still use terms like vocational school, etc. Essentially it is where you learn a job, or skills you need to perform a job.
    'Day habilitation' sounds a little odd to me, I'd definitely try to replace that with something else.

And 'developmental' is fitting, but I can see why that could have stigma attached to it.

Sorry, I have no advice, just opinion :)

4. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 9, 2014

Vocational program doesn't sound outdated - perhaps look at terms that national organizations like Easter Seals use for ideas?

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 9, 2014

All of this.

We still use the term vo-tech for seniors who leave high school and take classes at the community college (welding, appliance repair, mechanic shop, electric work, etc.).

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 9, 2014

Our students can leave for Vo-Tech at a different campus.

On our campus, they can take CaTE courses (Career and Technical Education).

Here is a link to the organization that serves individuals with disabilities in my area. Maybe (or not) they have vocab that is useful. http://www.classltd.org/

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 9, 2014

Day habilitation describes those not really ready for work and we do a "meaningful" day but try to incorporate work skills when applicable and when we can. It's something parents want but the business community doesn't necessarily need to know about it.

Thanks for the opinions. Keep them coming.

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 9, 2014

How about Life Skills - Work Skills. Although I don't know if those are outdated terms.

9. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2014

We use "Vocational Skills" although with some of my students I say "Job Training". There is a trend in Florida to use the term "Life Skills Development" instead of "Adult Day Training" or "Habilitation". Unfortunately the acronym is LSD. I saw a job opening for an LSD coach the other day!