Vocabulary

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Deeena, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Sep 30, 2007

Does anyone have any new and exciting ideas to spice up vocabulary? I have to introduce the new vocabulary words for almost every subject area and I feel like I'm getting stuck in a rut. :yawn: I want my students to do some fun, meaningful activities to help them learn new words. I would also like ideas for teaching them prefixes, suffixes, and root words. What do you do that your class enjoys?

3. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Oct 1, 2007

My kids have always enjoyed drawing pictures of how they remember the vocabulary words. I know it sounds boring, but most kids usually love drawing and coloring pictures.

I also love having the kids act out the vocabulary words but not all words lend themselves to "acting out."

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2007

When we started our vocabulary notebooks last year, we came up with a page with four blocks. In the first block they wrote the definition of the word, in the 2nd block they wrote a sentence using the vocab word correctly, the 3rd block they drew a picture to go with their sentence, in the last block they came up with synonyms of the vocab word.

5. calalily18

calalily18 Rookie

Oct 1, 2007

in addition to the idea of drawing the words in a journal, I like to play pictionary with my class. We preview the words and then I randomly choose a drawer, they pick a word from a basket and draw it on the board for the others to guess.

6. arm605

arm605 Rookie

Oct 10, 2007

Vocab Stories

To review vocab I have my students write the words in a story. They need to write a brief story that includes each of our vocab words (usually 6-8 words). They love the challenge of making all the words fit together in one story, and they are also very entertaining to read! It also helps them with sentence structure, creative writing, and other grammar skills as well. I highly recommend it!!!

7. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Oct 10, 2007

That pictionary idea is super!

We made up a reading comprehension/quiz game to help build content specific vocabulary. First, I did two mini-lessons on reading comprehension strategies, and then had the kids format the information into answer/question sets (a la Jeopardy!). Then we played the Jeopardy game with their questions. The students who wrote the questions were not allowed to answer those, of course.

BTW, look at this template for a PowerPoint jeopardy game. It is so neat, you click the category and value square and go to that answer, then question, then back to the game board. It's so cool!

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 4, 2007

I found this book at the local book store and can't wait to use it. It looks so funny! Basically nursery rhymes and other songs most young children learn are printed with blanks to be filled in with synonyms. (there are synonyms given to choose from.) So the itsy bitsy spider can become the miniscule arachnid, and be kind to your web-footed friends can become be considerate to your web-footed comrades! I can't wait to use this with my class.

http://shop.scholastic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_61611_-1_10001_10002

9. matchstickgirl

matchstickgirl Companion

Nov 6, 2007

One thing I do for vocabulary is have a vocabulary box. I leave it in the classroom and throughout the week students write down sentences with the vocab word and on Friday I draw a few winners for prizes. I was surprised to see the box filled last week!!

I also do a vocab relay race. This can be done a few ways, but basically I break them up into 6 teams. About 50 yards away I have big signs with their vocab word, or just a plain whiteboard. I'll give a definition or a sentence, and the first person in the line has to run down and give me the correct word. They really enjoyed this.