Vocabulary...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by **Mrs.A**, Jul 22, 2011.

1. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Jul 22, 2011

I need help with my vocabulary instruction...Most teachers at my school use the Harcourt Trophies for reading and get their vocabulary words from the story. I do reader's workshop in my class, so I need to come up with my own vocabulary words, but I'm not sure what to use.

How about selecting words from our read aloud book? Any fourth grade teachers out there that come up with their own vocab words?

3. Hitchcock fan

Hitchcock fan Companion

Jul 23, 2011

Don't teach 4th but I always come up with my own list of vocab for students from any reading we do. You could also have students make a list of words they encounter while reading that they don't know, although that would result in a different list for each student! Just had an idea - you could have students skim through the story for a few minutes in class, jotting down unfamiliar words. Then as a group you could come back together and fashion a list of the top 10 words, and use that for the week's vocab.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2011

There is also a scholastic list of words that 4th graders should know...this might help to guide the words that you pick from yours or the classes reading.

5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 23, 2011

There are lots of choices. Here is one of them that can save you lots of time--it did for me (I have taught 3rd, 4th, and currently am teaching 5th). edhelper.com has wonderful vocabulary lists and tests that you can print out. You can even customize the test a bit choosing matching, mulitple choice, analogies or a combination of 2 or all 3. I hate paying for websites, but at less than $2 a month ($19.99/year) it is far cheaper than going to any educational store. They also have great vocabulary for particular literature books that have great tests. After 20 years of teaching that is the best I've ever found.