Vocabulary Words in Reading

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs. Mom, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 26, 2012

In grades 3-4, do you make kids write the weekly reading vocabulary words with definitions? I quit doing this several years ago, since it took SOOOOO long for third graders to write out 6-8 definitions. I started giving them the definitions typed up on paper, but I don't think they look at them nearly as much! Do you see value in writing definitions in a reading notebook to refer to? I want my kids to have a bigger bank of words to pull from, but I don't know if they will learn them any better by writing them, either. Maybe just word activities in class is all I should do! Please share your thoughts on what is important, especially 3rd grade range, for reading vocab. words. Thanks.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2012

One of my spelling HW choices is dictionary definitions. I teach figuring words in context and also teach dictionary skills. We learn and define content area words...

4. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2012

It took most of our students wayy too long last year and many wrote them so sloppy or with so many mistakes that it wasn't even worth it.

Maybe make them do some sort of matching activity. They could have to glue the definitions next to the correct words. That way they're putting some work and thought into it and familiarizing themselves with the words and their definitions. But it shouldn't take as long as it will be neat enough for them to refer back to. (I wouldn't do just drawing lines to match because that might get confusing for them.)

5. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Aug 26, 2012

I am having my kids make vocab cards.

I am making up a page with the words on one side with lines to show them where to cut, then having them write the definitions on the back.

6. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2012

My kids do vocabulary boxes during our reading workshop time--they include the word, definition, picture, and sentence. They make these for new words they come across during their independent reading.

With the weekly vocabulary words, we work on figuring out their meaning in context, and then review them throughout the week, but we don't copy down definitions.

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2012

I don't teach elementary, but I'm firmly convinced that the best way to have students really learn new vocabulary is to set up a situation where they actually use it. If you read a story, introduce words that apply to the characters - are they uncertain, joyful, quizzical, etc. (Not sure what 3rd grade vocab would be!)