Vocabulary programs

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by MrsCAD, May 16, 2010.

1. MrsCAD

MrsCAD Companion

May 16, 2010

I teach 7th/8th grade Language Arts, but the majority of my students are on a 5th/6th level or lower. I tried using the vocabulary lessons that came with our literature book this year, but it was just too overwhelming for my students. I'm going to be investigating other vocab programs over the summer to use next year, so.....get me started. What vocab programs do you use?

3. MrsKP

MrsKP Companion

May 16, 2010

Have you tried using Vocabulary Ladders by Phillip Steinbacher?

I bet the book for 5-8th grade would work great for your students. I'm sure you can find reviews on it somewhere..

4. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

May 17, 2010

I just found this the other day and am trying to convince my grade level to do it. Google Word Generation. It's a free vocab development program for Middle School from some profs at Harvard.

5. tracyj

tracyj New Member

Jun 19, 2010

I use Townsend Press's vocabulary program. I also teach 7th & 8th graders who are behind grade level. They have different level workbooks (you can see the entire word list for each book at their website, as well as a sample chapter). I ordered one book for each level I needed (about $10) and then typed up copies for each student.

I use the vocabulary as the daily warm-up/bell ringer for my classes. Every other Monday, students pick up a two-page bell ringer packet that lasts two weeks. Each day has about five questions using the vocabulary words in context (the first day students choose the meanings of the words based off of sentences using them in context), and I give a test every other Friday (also in the book).

It really helps my students learn the words and be able to use them in context.

Hope this helps!

6. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2010