Vocabulary game ideas?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MsB2012, Sep 14, 2013.

1. MsB2012

MsB2012 Companion

Sep 14, 2013

I was curious if any of you had some fun vocabulary game ideas for either introducing vocabulary or reviewing vocabulary before a test?

I love to make my vocabulary activities fun throughout the week so that the kids really learn what the word means and how to use it in their writing. Among other review exercises, we've played vocabulary hangman and vocabulary basketball! What can I say--my kiddos like to be entertained while learning. :rolleyes::cool:

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 14, 2013

We play vocabulary basketball and last person standing.

4. MsB2012

MsB2012 Companion

Sep 14, 2013

Can you explain the last person standing game? Thanks!

Is it just lining everyone up and giving them words to define orally until one person is left standing?

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 14, 2013

We played matching with words and definitions. The kids also liked to match up terms with definitions in pocket charts. We usually did it as part of morning work/calendar.

6. Listlady

Listlady Companion

Sep 14, 2013

My favorite game to play I just call "Vocabulary Battle."

Write your words on index cards. You'll need two sets of words. Divide the class in half (or roughly half), and then distribute cards. Each student must have at least one card, but some may have more than one (depends on how many words you have, of course).

Then, you call out clues, and the student with the card who stands up first (beats the other student on the other team) wins the point. Don't forget, though, to repeat clues so that students don't get lazy and think they don't have to pay attention any more. Vary clues, too -- use antonyms and synonyms, etc. It's really fun, but it can get heated at times.

7. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Sep 14, 2013

Discovery Education has several puzzle makers that offer great variety for using vocab. I particularly like the cryptograms.

When I want to involve the whole class in an interactive game, I create Taboo cards for whatever topic we're studying and we divide the class in half so they can play against each other. Making Taboo cards is also an option I give to kids when they are doing their vocab requirement for the unit.