Vocabulary Building Strategies/Ideas?

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by mudpie1598, Jan 12, 2013.

1. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Jan 12, 2013

Hi,
    at my school our grade level usually looks up words in a dictionary as a means to build their vocabulary. I've heard that this isn't the way to do it. So, what are ways or strategies that help build the vocabulary of your students? or what are ways that you use the weekly vocabulary words given in the treasures book?

3. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 13, 2013

We do the friar (sp?) model. They write the word, the definition, a synonym, and then use the word in a sentence. Our admin was really set on us NOT using this model at the beginning of the year (they thought it didn't include enough higher level thinking) but backed off after so many teachers pointed out all of the research that ELL students (basically our entire population) need basic activities like this to build vocabulary.

I noticed that this was only helping about the top half of my class. A couple of months ago I started spending our entire mini lesson time on Thursdays on Vocabulary. It is 1/3 of our state test and historically the section that the students do the worst on. I think you need to teach them how to use context clues to find the meaning of the word rather than just teaching them a bunch of words and hoping for the best. In our curriculum (storytown) the weekly vocab words are extremely difficult/rarely used words that they're not going to use anyway. I do an activity where I make up questions using the words. I put the word in a sentence, and then write a multiple choice question asking the meaning of the word. They do some with partners, some on their own and then check with partners, and I model doing some of them for the class giving strategies to use the context to find the definition. I have seen a HUGE improvement in my vocabulary test scores since starting this method. At the beginning of the year 3/4 of my class was missing the majority of the vocab questions on our weekly tests...now all but my 3-4 lowest kids are getting all or most of these questions correct. I'm crossing my fingers that they can do it on the state test too!

4. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Jan 13, 2013

Thanks

I'm interested in seeing a sample test.

5. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Jan 13, 2013

Also, I haven't been doing the dictionary or thesaurus usage as a directed lesson. It's been more of an independent activity. I this is where I've been going wrong.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2013

Dictionary skills have a place and do need to be taught, but it is not the best way for students to learn new words. Most students do not understand the definition in the dictionary.

We use Frayer model quite a bit. I also like to use pictures with my students. They need to see a visual to relate the new word to. We add in some acting of words---this really helps my visual learners.

Context clues is great to teach! Students need to learn how to use the story to find out what new words mean. This is a skill students will use everyday in their reading.

7. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jan 13, 2013

Try triple entry vocab: definition in context, definition in your own words, and memory tool.

8. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2013

We do a lot of work with interesting words that they come across in their independent reading. I have the opposite problem as waterfall with the vocab words from our basal stories--they are usually more common words that the kids use already. I also pull out words when I'm reading aloud--we'll try to figure out what they mean, and then we try to use that word as often as possible. It's amazing how quickly they add some of those words to their everyday vocabulary that way!

9. Peacock

Peacock Rookie

Feb 27, 2013

I remember this method when I was in school. I agree about the dictionary. Most kids just don't get the meanings of words in the dictionary. It's useful to know how to use one but I don't think it's the only way to teach vocabulary.