Vocabulary and Notebook Checks

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by mthteach, Sep 3, 2010.

1. mthteach

mthteach Rookie

Sep 3, 2010

Hi,
    I teaching Geometry at an inner city school. I am trying to determine the best method to teach vocabulary to my students. I teach vocabulary in the notes as we go through the content but I am also looking for another method. Last year, I had my students fill in a vocabulary sheet before we went through the lesson. At the beginning of each period before the lesson I would fill in the sheet with them and then proceed with the lesson. This worked pretty well but did not seem to help them student necessarily with studying. I am looking for new methods to teach vocabulary. I am thinking of this year of having students fill in a paper that has three columns on it so that they can fold the paper and cover the definition so it can be used to study. Has anyone ever used this method? What other methods have you used that worked out well?

Also, in the past I have done notebook checks. The method I use is to give them a quiz that has 10 questions asking about material that is in each of their binder sections. I know it is important to teach students organization, however I feel as though this may be a waste of time at the same sense. What are your thoughts on notebook checks and have you found success with using them?

Thank you in advance for any advice you have to offer! :)

3. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Sep 3, 2010

I am using notebook checks also but I am a new teacher so I am not sure yet.

I would love to hear a good method for doing vocabulary. If it becomes a problem I plan on putting the words on their chapter outline so that they know it is important. If their problem is study habits I can only give them the information I cant force them to do it. It may be that you method works just fine but the students refuse to study.

4. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 3, 2010

I give actual notebook checks. I take up their notebooks 2-3 times a term and grade them. It takes me about a half hour to get through one class.

5. Ms. Geography

Ms. Geography Comrade

Sep 3, 2010

I do vocabulary in three columns - word, definition, and a drawing/visual. If they can draw it or demonstrate the word you will know they understand how to use it or what it means. I think this would work well for math by having them give an example of the word.

As for the notebook, I use several methods to grade them. Terms are graded by section or chapter depending on the amount of words. Notes are a daily grade, and I use a highlighter to check these & put a check mark or a line through them - this keeps others from trying to re-use the notes for credit. The notebook grade is for organization and I do this once or twice a 9 week period.

6. MrF

MrF Rookie

Sep 4, 2010

I essentially do the same thing, but I have them write key terms in a separate spiral notebook and call it their "Math Dictionary". I have students write definitions down as a warm up and then as we go through lectures I give them visuals that they copy into their notes section and are required to review and then reproduce it in their math dictionary.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2010

I have my kids copy the definitions when I first present a new word, of course.

But after that, it seldom takes much. They learn what an altitude is because every time a problem says "altitude" I say "OK, an altitude means perpendicular, right?"

Some of the definition make sense-- I always refer to the median as "that thing on the Hempstead Turnpike that you're NOT supposed to drive into--it's in the MIDDLE" after I define it. The kids seldom have trouble remembering it after that one line.

I don't check notebooks. I can see the kids copying notes as I teach, and I check homework each day.