vocabulary activities

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by rfteacher, Sep 21, 2009.

1. rfteacher

rfteacher Rookie

Sep 21, 2009

I'm new to 2nd and the year just started. I'm wondering what kind of weekly vocabulary activities do you have your students do? My students get about 5 new words a week. My students are extremely low. I have ELL's. As an example, most of my students read between 3 to 15 words per minute. I need ideas. Help.

3. amyd

amyd Rookie

Sep 21, 2009

I'm having a hard time with this too! One thing we do is the kids give me the word, picture, and a sentence and we make it into a foldable.
    I'm looking forward to some new ideas!!

4. K_luv30

K_luv30 Rookie

Sep 21, 2009

One activity I do is go to Google Images and print pictures of the vocabulary words. Then, I post them all around the room. I give the kids sticky notes, and they write each vocab word on one sticky. Then they post them next to the picture they think best represents that word. The kids love it, and it gets them up and moving. I hope this helps! Let me know how it works out if you decide to try it!

5. queenie

queenie Groupie

Sep 22, 2009

I do several things with vocabulary words each week:

I make a powerpoint to share with the kids that gives the definition and a couple sentences using each word. I add pictures to help illustrate the words so that the kids will have something visual that sticks in their minds.

We play SWAT. I write the words on the white board in large letters. Two kids go against each other- each child gets a hand-shaped flyswatter (I used rolled up newspapers until I found swatters I like). The kids turn away from the board and face the class. I read a clue and then say "Go!" The kids try and be the first one to swat the correct word. The child who swats last gets replaced by another student...this continues until time runs out, clues run out, or everyone has gotten a turn. They LOVE this game! I use definitions, fill in the blank sentences, etc. for the clues. I also use other kinds of clues like "This word is the only action word in our Vocabulary words this week."

We play concentration in small groups. I use construction paper to make word cards and definition cards. On the backs of the word cards, I draw a star. The kids take turns turning over one word card and one definition card and trying to make a match- word to definition. If they choose cards that go together, they keep them and go again. If they choose words that don't go together, the cards are turned back over and the next child gets a turn. I use these cards for other things, too. Sometimes I lay out the word cards and have the students tell me the definition or use them in a sentence, or give me a synonym or antonym for the words. Sometimes I lay out the definitions cards and have the students tell me the words.

Sometimes I put the words on slips of paper and have the students choose a slip of paper to use for the following activity: the students will use their word in a sentence, and then illustrate the sentence with a colorful drawing. This results in several good sentences and illustrations that I can strategically place around the room as reminders.

I also have a silly little thing I do that the kids (for some unknown reason!) really like- if a child uses a vocabulary word, or if we see a word in a text or something, I say "Ding! Ding! Ding! Vocabulary Word!" The kids have even started saying it when they spot vocabulary words in their books :)

Also, if I know a song, poem, joke, etc. that has a Vocabulary word in it, I use it a lot in class as a reminder.

6. queenie

queenie Groupie

Sep 22, 2009

The idea about the sticky notes is AWESOME! Thank you!