Vocabulary Activities

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Aemon, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Aemon

Aemon New Member

Jul 18, 2013

Hello everyone :)

I have taught 5th grade for a while now, but one goal I have for myself this year is to improve my vocabulary instruction. I am wondering what types of things you do in your classrooms in this area. How do you introduce vocabulary? What types of activities do you students work on with their words, and how often? How do you reinforce these skills and words throughout the year?

I'm looking forward to hearing your ideas and any help or advice you could give in this area would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

3. Texuye

Texuye New Member

Jul 31, 2013

Vocabulary Assist

I used the "Big Words" program and it works great for me. I designate about 15 minutes a day to word study and vocabulary plays a big role. In a nutshell, you give each student a strip of predetermined letters. You give them 7 minutes to make as many words as they can with the letters. Then you go over how you can change the words with letters and prefixes/suffixes. There is much more to it and if you're interested let me know and I'll fill you in.

4. Bloom

Bloom Companion

Oct 15, 2013

I enter all of their vocabulary onto quizlet.com. This is a great tool for allowing them to practice and test their words. It also allows for a quick print out either in a list or flash cards for them to practice at home. I will continue to add these words as we go through the year so they have one giant repository of vocabulary words learned throughout the year. I will periodically test on old words too!

I also have them use the week's words in a paragraph (silly or serious)...and provide them points or treats for when they use vocabulary in their writing or daily work. Extra bonus for the student who can use the most words appropriately in a paragraph or writing.

5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 15, 2013

My favorite vocabulary activity (and the students too) I got from another teacher. I put the students in pairs. Then, I take photos of 2 students acting out the vocabulary word. I print them out (most weeks I use a black and white printer) and display them on a bulletin board. That bulletin board is the most popular thing in the room. They willingly study Vocabulary and do very well on the tests.