Visualizing and Verbalizing--any experience?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by xiangnong, Aug 12, 2011.

1. xiangnong

xiangnong Companion

Aug 12, 2011

I'm just wondering if anybody has used this program by Nanci Bell. If so, what are your thoughts?

3. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 12, 2011

I have referred several students to the Lindamood Bell program and have seen absolute miracles occur. It is intense, it is highly expensive, and it works. Children who cannot learn to read by any other method come out reading. I sent one child last year who had terrible spelling issues. She can now spell.

I have gone through the training, but it is much too complicated a program for a classroom teacher to implement on top of any other curriculum. I use snipets of what I have learned to explain certain other concepts, but it is not possible to teach one student in a class this way when the other students do not need the approach.

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 12, 2011

I read the book, and wanted to try it with students, but like GoldenPoppy said, it is much too complicated to do in the classroom.

I think they also have a math program, something Stars. I recommend it to families all the time, but most can't actually afford to do it, and I work with a high SES population!

If you're able to get trained in it, you should-- then go into business for yourself. You'd make a killing!

5. xiangnong

xiangnong Companion

Aug 12, 2011

Thanks for the feedback. I am a new ESL teacher, and I am supposed to use this program with groups this year. I am reading the manual now, and it seems like there is a lot of research behind it.

6. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 12, 2011

Yes, Seeing Stars is another great reading/spelling program. Cloud 9 is their math program.

They have a variety of training programs out of their San Luis Obispo headquarters and they are very aggressive about keeping the "brand" pure. You can't get trained and open up your own clinic and call it a Lindamood-Bell center.

7. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Aug 12, 2011

I was not under the impression that V&V was a spelling program - I thought it was listening and reading comprehension.

8. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 12, 2011

These are the Lindamood-Bell programs:

Seeing Stars
    is fluency, sight words, and spelling

V&V is language comprehension and thinking

LiPS is Reading, spelling, and speech

Talkies is mental imagery

Cloud 9 is math

9. chalkachalka

chalkachalka Rookie

Aug 12, 2011

VV is impossible to do in a group setting. Must be done 1 on 1 to be effective. You have to move rather quickly or the student will lose the image. How does your school want you to implement it with groups? I would highly recommend going through the actual training...it's a tough one to master.