Visual ways to teach literary/poetic terms

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by Alaskanteach, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Apr 26, 2007

Anyone have a good way of doing this? I tried giving the terms to my students in small bits and having them define and study them and it didn't really work out. Then I saw a transparency pack that you can buy that has the definition, a little picture, and some examples. I thought.. hmm, I could do that! We have some kind of OBSCURE terms (like Southern Gothic??) that I have to teach, though, so I didn't want to buy the pack, although it would give me a starting point..

Anyone got some ideas?:thanks:

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 26, 2007

You could have the students look for visuals...

4. english9teach

english9teach Rookie

Apr 26, 2007

This may not work for every definition, but I did this for iambic pentameter and it worked wonders. I imagine it would work for other rhythm patterns as well. (I stole it from the Folger Shakespeare Library Online.) The kids started out with something they were familiar with (like Dr. Suess) and beat the tables in the rhythm. Then I switched the rhythm to iambic pentameter so the kids could "feel" the rhythm.

I am sure this won't work for Southern Gothic (perhaps pictures of the authors and audio tapes of examples might work) but it could be helpful for the rhythm definitions. The student groups could have their peers demonstrate the patterns. :p