Visual, Tactile, Auditory learners

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by medlockprice, Nov 23, 2010.

1. medlockprice

medlockprice New Member

Nov 23, 2010

Please help me with some of you tips and suggestions. How would my teaching and classroom environment include students who may learn in each of the title learning styles?

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 23, 2010

This sounds like an assignment for school... which means I'd suggest you start us off with some of your ideas, then we can help... we're happy to ASSIST with your homework, but, since we're almost all teachers, we frown upon doing it for you :)

(not meant to be mean... it's just that we get a lot of these kinds of questions, and this is our standard reply. Just for reference, it helps to introduce yourself and let us know a little about what you're doing, even if it's "hi, I'm a junior studying to be a __ teacher, etc"... that's common courtesy on message boards before starting in with questions)

4. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Nov 23, 2010

I agree with the above, what is the source of your question?

I would also add a question.....What is the subject you are teaching? The answer to your question is not uniform, especially at the secondary level.

5. wrice

wrice Habitué

Nov 26, 2010

Sometimes useful for students to reinterpret content in their own way (make a project after reading a book or learning a set of terms)

I sincerely hope you know how to appeal to the visual senses, given that 90% of what enters our brain comes to us through our eyes, and visual learning tends to be a primary mode of instruction- reading, displays, posters, slideshows, etc. A graphic organizer, a drawing, a poster- there are lots of ways a student can reinterpret learning to incorporate his visual intelligence.

Tactile intelligence is a bit easier in science but doable in many other content areas. Tangible manipulatives, puzzle pieces, 3D sculpted representations of learning all appeal to tactile intelligence.

Auditory learners listen to lecture and reinterpret using inner voice. They'd like to chat about topics and be verbally quizzed over topics. Projects they might explore are making a skit, poem, song, or rap.

Googling "multiple intelligences" likely would give you some good leads.

Scroll to about 17 minutes on this video for a justification of multiple intelligences:
    http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html