Visual Impairment Teachers?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by VANewbie, May 7, 2010.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 7, 2010

Anyone teach students who are visually impaired?

3. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

May 8, 2010

I have a student with a visual impairment in my special ed. classes but I am not a VI teacher.

4. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

May 8, 2010

VA Newbie,
    My mom has been a Teacher of the Visually Impaired for nearly 30 years. She loves it.
    There are tons of scholarship opportunities in this field....

5. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 8, 2010

I have looked everywhere and could not find any scholarships. There are scholarships if you are visually impaired but its hard to find one for teachers who just want to teach VI.

6. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

May 8, 2010

I'm not a VI teacher but I was a blind student and am a teacher now. If you have any questions, feel free ask me here or in PM.

7. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 8, 2010

What are the main difference in teaching visual impaired students? I only know the early childhood side of teaching. nothing really about special needs as of yet. It is just something I am very interested in.

8. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

May 8, 2010

Perhaps they've dwindled since the economy has gone downhill, but several years ago there were many. I will ask my mom and get back to you - but I am sure there is something out there. Even just googling "scholarships for teachers of the visually impaired" - I got several hits - but they were specific to different states. My mom teaches in VA - so maybe I will have some info for you.

9. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

May 8, 2010

The accommodations for a visually impaired student depends on their level of impairment. Some visually impaired students use large print, some can read regular print with their own magnifiers or CCTV, some use audio, some use Braille, and a lot of students use a combination.

The main difference in teaching a visually impaired student is figuring out ways to convey information that are usually conveyed to students visually. There's a series of videos from the Texas School for the Blind here. Some of the videos are about the BrailleNote and some of them are about modifications used to teach math to blind/VI students. This will hopefully give you some ideas of how to make visual concepts accessible.

10. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

May 8, 2010

Here are some scholarships I was able to find for teachers of the visually impaired.

Delta Gamma Foundation Florence Margaret Harvey Memorial and Rudolph Dillman Memorial Scholarships (whew, a mouthful):
    source

You can apply directly for these scholarships on the webpage. Unfortunately you missed the deadline by 9 days but maybe you can apply for next year.

William and Dorothy Ferrel Scholarship:
    source

I don't know if you're willing to move or settle for a loan program, but just in case:
    source

source

Let me know if that was at all helpful.

11. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 9, 2010

Thanks everyone. I will look into all this info and get back to you!