Visiting hot and humid states soon in August...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Jul 18, 2013.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 18, 2013

I live in an area where we hardly have humid days or extreme high temps during the summer.

I bought a neat cooling towel from Amazon (Frogg Togg) that says stays cool for hours and you don't feel wet from it since it is rubber like instead of a wet towel!

What else do you folks in Hot and Humid climates recommend for me as a traveler to buy now to bring along for when we are of course outside most of the day seeing things?
    I plan on a water bottle filled with ice too...

what else from a store?
    :)

Thank you in advance!

3. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jul 18, 2013

I live in a hot, humid state (eastern NC) with temps about 100 today. I mow grass on weekends with my mom, and honestly at 8 months pregnant in the heat and working hard-- just wearing light-weight clothing and having hydration handy is all someone needs. Sunscreen is a must too.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 18, 2013

It's like walking into a steamy bathroom here today. When I was running errands it was 93 degrees with 85% humidity, so it felt over 100. :dizzy:

My sunglasses fogged up every time I went outside. :cool:

Loose-fitting clothes. Light colors. Natural fabrics.

Cucumber baby wipes in a cooler are refreshing. I keep a box in my fridge. Plan things in the morning or evenings. Stay hydrated. Seek shade. Avoid caffeinated drinks. An ice pack on your wrist pulse points will cool you off fast.

I'm taking a dozen middle school kids 125 miles to a zoo in over 100 degree "feels like" temperatures tomorrow. :help:

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 18, 2013

:p An air conditioner.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 18, 2013

Clothing made of fabric that wicks away moisture is a really good idea. You can find those most easily in sporting departments.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2013

Agree!!! Do a lot of shopping!!! LOL!!!

Seriously not much..stay hydrated and wear light colored clothing!!! Try to do indoor things during hottest parts of day...between 1-3pm they say here. I try not to be out too mucj suns at it's highest between 11 am -2pm is what I had heard growing up.

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 18, 2013

We are going to Chicago and St Louis (leaving next week, YAY!) on vacation, and I am so worried about the humidity. I can handle very hot temperatures, but we have dry heat in CA, and it is soooo different! It's hard to be in that humidity when you're not used to it! I've experienced it in Orlando, and YIKES... :eek: I just know in Orlando I had to wear light colored clothing - mostly cotton - tank tops and shorts. And I had to drink a LOT of water!

9. whollyconsumed

whollyconsumed Companion

Jul 18, 2013

We just do things inside! :p If we have to get outside we do it early or later in the day!

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 19, 2013

Definitely take it easy outside or you may feel sick. Don't eat ice cream, but things like Popsicles. Those of us who live in these areas sort of get used to it, but it takes awhile. Our heat is supposed to break tomorrow, so I hope you get better weather.

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2013

Waterproof sunscreen. Lots of it!

A light-weight hat, like you might find in the camping section at the store. A traditional baseball cap will make your head sweat, but you also don't want to burn your scalp.

Comfortable sandals for walking. I see a lot of tourists wearing sneakers and socks. Aside from the fact that your feet will be hot and gross, it makes you an easily-spotted target. Also: no fanny packs.

And... this one is weird, but, hey, I live in FL. Wear a bikini under your clothes instead of the usual undergarments. Swimwear dries a lot faster.

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2013

Tonite for us!!!!

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 19, 2013

Definitely bring a spray mist fan.

How about even an umbrella? When I was in Florida one summer, I was at Universal Studios Orlando & out of the blue, it started raining (warm temp rain). Suddenly, many people whipped out ponchos.

14. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 19, 2013

i rem from a diff trip this summer changing shirts a few times a day due to humidity...dont want to do that again! i had regular t shirts and a few athletic type tops...

I want to be airy/comfortable but still nice looking for when we go in restaurants etc... help me find some tops please !!
    also...i always wear tennis shoes for walking/trips what elae would be comfortable and look nice?! :)

15. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 19, 2013

what bra styles are good for hot and humid weather?!
    I only have basic style kinds that make me too warm in our warmer weather...

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 19, 2013

I have an ample chest, so I have to wear the same bras . . . wires, thick straps, padding. My bras are all business. :blush: I bought some all cotton handkerchiefs and put them under the band in front. It absorbs all the boob sweat. :lol: Helps a lot!

I changed underwear twice today. :whistle: I pull out the cotton boy shorts for hot weather. It absorbs sweat, but I don't have the leg elastic that irritates me in hot conditions.

Socks and shoes burn me up. I walk in Birkenstocks. I need a firm-soled shoe to keep my ankles from hurting. I walked all over the zoo today in my Birkis (less expensive version by Birkenstock). They need a gradual breaking in, though. Never buy a pair and try to wear them all day.

Oh, and I never travel without Anti Monkey Butt powder. It's much better than regular powder.

17. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 20, 2013

I was thinking of you at the zoo, Ima! Glad you survived.

18. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 20, 2013

One of my friends swears by the heavy duty Secret deodorant applied under the girls, on inner thighs, and lower back. I wouldn't apply it in so many places though. I might try the lower back. I don't like sweat dripping down onto my undies.

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 20, 2013

Yeah, I think antiperspirant works better than baby powder, for sure. A camisole underneath anything helps to catch the sweat. There are 2 fairly new products from Pose that work well. One is a cooling gel that you roll on, the other product is a wipe that provides cooling for 15 minutes or so after it is used.

I adjusted one of my meds recently because I felt it was making me hotter, something that isn't welcomed in Florida! Even my neighborhood pool is too warm for me to get any relief.

Avoid spicy food and don't overdo the alcohol.

20. Harper

Harper Companion

Jul 20, 2013

Hit up Patagonia or REI for cute, active wear clothes. They are expensive, but they will last you forever. I like the vented fishing shirts - not the most attractive, but great for hot weather and keeps me covered!

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 20, 2013

Genie bras are good if you can wear them.

22. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jul 20, 2013

Aww, y'all are making me homesick. ;)

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 21, 2013

Check out these stores/sites for clothing made from breathable, non-wrinklable fabrics:

www.lululemon.com
    www.lucy.com
    www.athleta.com

In hot & sticky climates, I tend to want to wear skirts. I don't want some hot fabric around & between my legs.

24. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 22, 2013

thank you everyone !