Visit from the powers that be

Discussion in 'General Education' started by GemStone, Dec 13, 2011.

1. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Dec 13, 2011

Next week, our county superintendent will visit the school. If you run into the superintendent in the hallway with the principal, do you stop and tell him welcome? Or do you go about your business as usual? What about if he stops into your classroom?

I just get nervous around the powers-that-be. I don't want to appear either aloof or brown-nosing.

Thanks!

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 14, 2011

If I see our superintendent in the hallway I always shake his hand and say hi. If he enters my classroom I take my cue from him. If he just sort of slides to the back to observe I smile and keep teaching, if he enters and greets the class depending on how close I am to where he is I either shake his hand or just smile and greet him back along with the rest of the class. I don't see it as brown nosing, I see it as being polite and respectful to a visitor.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2011

I would extend him the same courtesy as any other visitor. If he was in the middle of a conversation as I passed by, I would smile and say "good morning."

If he was just walking by, I would stop, introduce myself if necessary, and welcome him.

If he stopped into my classroom to observe, I would smile, continue to teach, and chat at the end. (Unless, of course, the kids started to notice he was there and started letting each other know. In that case, I would welcome him, and remind them that I was still the one that needed their attention.)

5. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Dec 14, 2011

Our superintendent is right in our building so we see him all the time. But when he stops in - or any visitor, the kids all say HI! and go about their business.

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 14, 2011

Like, Mom2ohc, our super comes by all the time. As a matter of fact, he makes it a point to visit with every staff at least 4 times a year (and we're in the top 20 biggest districts in the state, so that's a lot of schools!) I would definitely say hi if he comes your way. If he seems to be looking around at the school and what's happening, I'd invite him in the room and show him what you're doing!

7. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Dec 14, 2011

We have one building in our entire district and the super's office is across the hall from my classroom, so we see him all the time.
    In your situation, I would definitely greet the super in the hall and take my cues from him if he appeared in my classroom during a lesson.

8. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Dec 14, 2011

I believe I have spoken with our Super once since I began teaching and it was not the current one in charge. I would like to, but I know that the things I want to say would either come out wrong, or not be appropriate. Saying hi, is just not worth it.

9. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Dec 14, 2011

I would definitely say hello and introduce myself if the time allowed in the hall. In the classroom, it depends, but I try to stop and introduce him to the kids.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2011

In the hallway, I'd honestly probably just smile, say good morning, and keep walking unless he stopped me.

In my classroom, I'd say good morning and go about my teaching.

I've never met or seen our superintendent in person.

11. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Dec 14, 2011

I usually say "hello Beth"
    I have had about 8 different one now and
    have been on a first name basis with most of them.
    One of them visited me when I was doing archery
    to talk about a note I sent him. I told him we could
    not talk then because archery takes 150% of your
    attention. Very nice guy but a political appointee.
    Did a great job with our TOY program.

12. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 14, 2011

Check his ID badge, if he has one.

If he doesn't have one, send him to the office.

13. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Dec 14, 2011

Put him/her to work...checking students' practice answers. That's what I did when the state super' visited my room.

Also like Sarge's idea regarding security clearance. Maybe take over recess and bus duty?

14. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Dec 15, 2011

Ditto what every one else has said. Remember, they are people too!

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 18, 2011

I don't have anything new to add but I wanted to say, Welcome to the Forums!

16. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Dec 18, 2011

Thank you!
    :haha:

17. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 18, 2011

Our Chief Academic Officer came in one day while we were picking up cots. I told him hi, & said if he wanted to help he could. He quickly left! :p He did come back about 1/2 hour later & stayed for a few minutes.

18. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 18, 2011

:yeahthat:

Our superintendent only stops by schools a few times a year, and I don't think he visits classrooms. He is amazing, though-he knows everyone's name, school, and grade they teach. I switched schools and grades this year, and he shook my hand the first day of school, and commented on my "change of scenery." I was surprised!