Visible Tattoos?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Irishdave, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2013

Visible Tattoos
    What do you think?

I feel a tattoo is out of the norm But you are seeing them more and more now days, almost like a fad.
    I personally do not like them maybe because I am an old coot.
    I was brought up believing that Tattoos were only for "sailers and illicit women"
    If I was hiring and had a choice between a teacher with a visible tattoo and one without and all was equal, I would probably pick the non-tattooed teacher.

78 Stupid People Who Tattooed Celebrities Onto Their Bodies

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 28, 2013

I have thought about getting inked, but between my fickle nature and my low threshold for pain, I remain unscathed. These days, it's comparable (but not equal) to the decision to pierce one's ears. Actually, I'd take a professional with a tattoo over one with a facial piercing, but that's because the face is so much more visible than the appendages.

4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jan 28, 2013

I don't think we should discriminate against someone with piercings or tattoos. In my opinion that's the same as discriminating against someone for their choice of haircut.

I have both- plenty of piercings and 3 tattoos. My tattoos are not visible for the most part. My visible piercings are all on my ears.

I think tattoos are an art and some are absolutely stunning. I've also seen some that I think are really stupid, but it's not my body so I try not to judge.

I have a fourth tattoo that I've been planning on getting for a year or two now, just haven't really gotten around to it. It's something to remind me of one of the hardest times in my life and how I made it through. So I guess I qualify as an "illicit woman".

5. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jan 28, 2013

I'd have a problem with devil horns and snake skin tattoos all over ones face.

I'd have a problem with a dagger tattoo dripping blood on someone's neck or arm.

Same with gang tattoos.

To say no to them, you need to say no to the little heart on someone's wrist.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 28, 2013

I don't like naked chicks and cuss words, but otherwise I don't mind at all. I wouldn't like a naked dude either, but I've never seen one...

ETA: I want a tattoo but can't find a place in the region to meet my needs.

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 28, 2013

What happens when a sailor becomes a teacher? xD

I have a tattoo that is normally visible if I wore short-sleeved shirts. I simply don't wear short-sleeved shirts. And that's not because my admin told me to hide it, it's simply a preference on my behalf that I don't show it to students. I think it's unprofessional, and I don't mind the small sacrifice. Now some of them have found out that I have a tattoo because of finding pictures of me through Google search. I don't really care that they found out, but now each day I have at least one student asking me "Can I see your tattoo Mr. __________?" Which is annoying, because the last thing I want is my lesson to become a tattoo exhibition.

A running gag I have is that the picture they saw me with a tattoo on was really just face-paint I got on my arm and so it's not there anymore, and I wear long-sleeves because I'm always very cold. If it continues to be a disruption I will simply assign consequences.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 28, 2013

I recently saw a shirtless man walking down the street. He had a full body chest tattoo that was a picture...how do I put this delicately...of an unclothed woman doing calisthenics...she was quite flexible and was able to put her feet behind her ears.

Can't figure out how some people feel this is art.

9. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jan 28, 2013

I have one visible tattoo (top of my foot) and one only visible when wearing a bathing suit. My administration has no problem with visible tattoos, so I've tried leaving my foot tattoo uncovered at work. I find that it's just too distracting for the kids (they want to ask me questions about tattoos instead of doing their work), so I just cover it up with a bandaid when I'm wearing certain shoes.

10. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 28, 2013

This is an old argument on this forum, do we really need to do this again?

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 28, 2013

Our P allows visible tattoos as long as they're tasteful. I don't have any but have plans for at least two. I think they're starting to become more acceptable. As long as it's tasteful, I don't mind at all.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2013

I have two tattoos. One on my ankle that only shows when I'm wearing capris. The other is on the back of my neck and is always covered up unless I wear my hair up, which is rarely.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2013

I think that tattoos, visible or not, are fine. I do think that people should be smart about them. If you know you're going to work with kids, maybe a giant scrotum tattooed on your forehead isn't a great idea. Keep it sensible, you know? Honestly, though, I've really never seen any inappropriate tattoos in real life. If anything, they're usually just kind of ugly. If you're going to get a tattoo, shell out the money for a good quality one.

I think it's sad to judge someone based on their appearance, especially if it's based on tattoo of a perfectly sensible nature. Now, yes, I might not want to hire scrote-head guy, but that's just because he's probably an idiot. But do I think that you should pass up a teacher with a large jungle scene on his forearm (sleeve style) just because of that otherwise tasteful tattoo? Of course not. You'll be missing out on a lot of great and talented teachers if you start hiring or not hiring based primarily on things like appearance.

14. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 28, 2013

I would say that the majority of tattoos that I see I dislike. I cringe almost every time a friend posts a picture of a new tattoo on facebook.

I do have 1 tattoo, but it is not visible. And I honestly don't care if people like it or not. :D

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 28, 2013

I couldn't care less about whether or not someone has tattoos.

16. MsG

MsG Companion

Jan 28, 2013

Fabulous.

I don't see the big deal. I have one visible and one that's not. The one that you can see is on my foot. The kids see it and ask if it's real. Some years I tell them, some years I tell them they'll never know. They always think it's funny. That's the extent of the conversation about it. I only had one child show up with a temporary tattoo in the same place on her foot once... :unsure:

17. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 28, 2013

Try living in Portland. Tattoos and piercings are the norm.

18. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jan 28, 2013

I'd do the same Dave. I would hire the one with no ink.
    I have an armband that was done when I went home for my Dad's funeral. My brothers and I had them all done with Dad's name and the date he died. It's a reminder for me to always make the right choices. It is sometimes visible when I wear shirts that have very short sleeves. It's about 4 inches above my right elbow. The kids are fascinated by it. It's a conversation starter for me sometimes when people ask about it. :D
    Rebel1

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2013

I don't understand this at all. You have a tattoo. It's meaningful to you. You're able to "justify" it. You even allow students to see it. Yet you'd discriminate against someone else with ink?

20. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jan 29, 2013

YEP! If the tattoos are everywhere; then it's a no go!
    Don't worrrrrrrrrrrrry! I would never be in a position to hire anyone,
    unless I decide to start a business of my own.:whistle:
    Rebel1

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2013

Dave's comment you responded to mentioned "A" visible tattoo...not tattoos "everywhere". How would you feel about just one? Say there are two otherwise equal candidates and one has a word or flower on her wrist or ankle and the other doesn't. You'll always go for the one without a visible tattoo? Again, just kind of confuses me considering your situation.

22. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 29, 2013

I guess it is just I see many unsavory people who have gang, prison, or sexual tats so it is kind of guilt by "association" (skin art).

I guess I never wanted to do anything that would "Taint" my chances of getting a teaching job. One reason I never did pot. I don't drink, I never wanted to be seen drunk. (yea, I know I am irish so I should love booze).

I know an innocent tat should not be a detriment to getting or keeping a job but why take the chance?

23. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jan 29, 2013

This is my thinking as well. I guess we're still "old school" enough to think job seekers should adapt to the employers expectations rather than the employer adapting to the job seeker. I'm seeing a growing trend in our society for each new generation to think they should be able to do or say whatever they want without it having any consequences on their job; "What I post on Facebook in my own time shouldn't matter to my boss", "Having a tattoo shouldn't affect my chance to get a job".

What they are really saying is "I should be able to do what I want and everyone should accept it." Sorry, but it simply doesn't work that way. The employer DOES still have the right to determine the image they want their business or school to reflect and to decide if a tattoo or an FB post or anything else does not match that image.

Many of the members here who have tattoos have admitted the ink causes a big distraction in class if the kids see it. That is a good reason for admin to say "We don't allow visible tattoos".

Personally, I see nothing wrong with tattoos. I think some of them are incredible and enjoy watching the reality show "Inked" to see the tattoos people come up with. But at the same time, I accept the fact my school district may not approve of visible tattoos.

24. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jan 29, 2013

I do not understand why anyone would want to take their chances with visible tattoos, piercings, hairsyles, bra straps/underwear showing, high boots, etc. Yes, they can be just as successful, however, when the people hiring/promoting have a choice, usually the one without will receive.

I have never seen a tattoo or piercing where I thought "Gee, I love that one."

25. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 29, 2013

There are many cultures where tattoos and piercings are not only normal but celebrated. To make blanket statements about how tattoos and piercings are inappropriate for the workplace is culturally insensitive.

26. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 29, 2013

Thank you.

27. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2013

Isn't someone expecting our cultural norms to change for someone else that comes from another country insensitive to our cultural norms?

28. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2013

Who says they are expecting a change? It's more so they don't expect to face discrimination.

Besides, the "cultural norm" is changing...go us young folk! :p

29. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2013

Caesar's comment implied there is something wrong with making a comment about the cultural norm of our society because other cultures celebrate tattoos. To me "culturally insensitive" does not have a positive connotation to it.

Why should someone be deemed culturally insensitive because they support their own countries cultural norm? I actually think it is insensitive to call someone insensitive because they support their own countries cultural norms.

I agree, things will change after a while, but it isn't there yet. Eventually seeing a tattoo on someone will not be surprising, but the culture is not there yet. I do know though that when schools determine visible tattoos are allowable "if appropriate", there will be many issues based on a subjective determination from discrimination lawsuits when not hired to HR issues when someone gets a new tattoo that is a symbol that kids aren't allowed to have on their shirts.

30. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 29, 2013

I think there's a point of ridiculousness. I could see an admin not wanting me to show my tattoo because even though it's tasteful and actually very pretty, it is also rather large, and such a large tattoo is very prominent on my arm because I am a skinny small guy. The contrast of a smaller guy having a tattoo on his arm is something people tend to remark about, so it could get distracting in the classroom for good reason.

If some has a tiny tattoo (like 1 cm or smaller) of a heart or a butterfly, initials or something else tasteful it would be ridiculous for the admin to have a huge problem with it and require the teacher to cover it up. Yes, students may remark on it, but in that case, depending on where you live, such a tattoo is fairly unremarkable, and it's probably just a ploy on the students' part to derail the class.

I think admin has the right to determine certain dress-code for teachers based on the environment of the school, but I also think they should allow teachers some freedom, after all they are adult working professionals.

And honestly, if a guy with full sleeves shows up in a short sleeve t-shirt to an interview for a teaching job, that person is probably asking to not be hired. But if a tattoo happens to peek through the neck of his or her dress shirt, I do NOT think that is a valid reason for the interviewer to refuse to hire that person.

31. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 29, 2013

Being culturally sensitive is, at a minimum, doing your best not to discriminate against others because of their cultural expressions.

32. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 29, 2013

Love it!!! :thumb:

33. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2013

Siesta time!

Chadri's .

Let's not discriminate.

34. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2013

Not sure what your point is...

35. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 29, 2013

So you're telling me that a tiny nose ring is just so offensive to your sensibilities that we shouldn't allow it and that people with nose rings, even people who have those nose rings for cultural reasons, should be prepared to never get hired? Honestly? Okay.

36. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 29, 2013

By the way, if you're planning to not hire someone because of the religious clothing/accessories that they wear, you should also be prepared to be sued and probably fired. Just FYI.

37. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2013

I was hoping I just wasn't getting his point. Because surely he didn't mean what I initially thought he meant...

38. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 29, 2013

By the way, I would be all for implementing a law-enforced siesta time. :)

39. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2013

THANK YOU! Exactly! :haha:

40. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jan 30, 2013

Original poster said:
    "If I was hiring and had a choice between a teacher with a visible tattoo and one without and all was equal, I would probably pick the non-tattooed teacher."

41. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 30, 2013

Caesar's comment was directed to a2z's. He seemed pretty sarcastic about not discriminating against the religious dress.