Virtual Learning--What to Read?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by readingrules12, Jul 28, 2020.

1. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 28, 2020

As we start the year out virtually, what is there that students can read? Yes, it is possible the school will save us with a paid subscription, but not so sure of that with money tight. Any ideas besides the obvious of the online local public library?

3. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Jul 28, 2020

Does your school/district have access to e-books?

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 28, 2020

If you are referring to ebooks.com or the e-books app those books cost money. If you are asking can they read e-books, then the answer is yes. My question is where can I get ebooks for free that I can use with the students.

5. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Jul 28, 2020

My district has purchased a large number of electronic resources and have had them available on our digital platform for a couple of years now. Lots of books for K-12. Just thought maybe that might be something your district had.
    I know Amazon does have a lot of free kindle books, especially the classics. But regular kids and YA books, too.

readingrules12 likes this.
  6. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Jul 28, 2020

Project Gutenberg, Many books, lots of free sites and resources as far as ebooks.

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 29, 2020

The public library comes a few days each school year and registers students for library cards, so mostly only our freshmen won't have access to that yet. Then our school district pays for some e-books services, though I don't remember which ones off the top of my hear. Additionally, our school used some textbook funds to invest in online books. We have a phenomenal, up-to-date school library, and almost everything we have available in the library students can access online, except maybe the very newest books, and the manga sections.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 29, 2020

If you're looking for some shorter pieces, Common Lit is pretty awesome AND it's free.