Virtual backgrounds.... tacky?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ecteach, Jan 27, 2021.

1. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Jan 27, 2021

This is not in reference to students, as I understand that the virtual backgrounds can be "fun" for them. Also, I understand why some may want to use them to "hide" their home. This is in regards to adults who work for the school system.

We had a board meeting the other night. One man was at the beach. Another was in space. One had a background with the school system logo in it, but she kept disappearing in and out of it everytime she moved. Every adult should be able to at least find a plain wall to sit in front of at the very least.

I know there are more important things to worry about, but I am wondering if anyone else feels like virtual backgrounds are tacky for professional adults.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  3. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Jan 28, 2021

Depends on the background. And how well it's done, i.e. Wear different colors than your screen.

4. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jan 28, 2021

I don't have a spot where I can set up a desk and have a plain background. That is not to say there aren't some blank walls in my house, but there are limited places where I can put desk. So no, not every adult can find a plain wall. I don't use a background because I am fine with others seeing my wall art which is not of any value, but I could see others not wanting other to see inside their homes for a number of reasons, the simplest being privacy of home space.

As for the backgrounds that are chosen, they can be very limited based on the tool you are using.

ecteach and vickilyn like this.
  5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 28, 2021

Our principal had a beach background and the whole time we were in the meeting I was irrationally jealous of her being "at the beach" :rofl:

creativemonster and ecteach like this.
  6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 28, 2021

I used them in my zoom meeting with students and staff. I think it is fun. Others wondered what I would use the next meeting. Space, Tie-dye, beach, library, oval office, etc. It fits my sense of humor.

ecteach likes this.
  7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 28, 2021

I’ve been working from the hospice center or my mom’s house. I’m limited to where I can sit and work. I’m not interested in having my ill mother or the nursing staff in my background, so virtual background it is, tacky or not.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  8. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Feb 8, 2021

Oh, wow. I guess I never thought of this sort of circumstance. I hope you can work virtually all year, and be with your mom.

9. Aces

Aces Devotee

Feb 8, 2021

We have to use the district-provided ones, and of course there’s the boring solid-color backgrounds, there’s a couple of office background, over specifically for each school. But there’s also fun ones: there’s a beach scene, a sail boat one, there’s one with the Mars rover, one with the moon, etc. These are also provided by the district. We have to use the ones that are provided, those are included in the catalog, so it’s no problem to me.

I will occasionally use one, especially if I don’t want the stuff in my background being seen. In my office at school, directly behind my desk are book shelves. I’ve got various stuff displayed there such as my degrees, there’sa picture of me and some Army buddies, a baseball from a game at Fenway, etc. But I also occasionally have snacks or my lunchbox back there, so stuff like that I don’t want seen.

If it’s a meeting with a parent or something like that I’ll use one of the more professional ones.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 9, 2021

When I can, I like to just blur what is behind me. It's just the futon I crash on when Rockhubby is snoring, but still...

11. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Feb 11, 2021

I don't mind virtual backgrounds if they're simple or office-esque. The ones that look like the person is actually in a work/professional space.

I do find some of the more "fun" ones tacky though, and sometimes they can be very distracting. If I can't see your face because your background is too busy, it needs to be something different. If we're having a serious meeting and you're on a beach somewhere, change it. Like... yeah, they're fun, but context matters.
    I'm a party pooper though. :whistle:

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 11, 2021

I don't mind them when we do our virtual book club meetings. It might be distracting in a business setting.