Virtual Back to School Night

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sarge, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2020

So even if your school is going back to in-person classes in the fall, it is doubtful that any school is going to be able to host a traditional back to school night where hordes of families crowd into the school for the presentation by the principal in the gym/auditorium/cafeteria/multipurpose room, and then go around class to class for a presentation by all the teachers where they sit at their kids desk, and go through all the contents and peruse the textbooks.

I'm not much of a betting man, but if I was going to put money on something not happening, that would be it.

So then, what would a virtual "back to school night" look like? Any ideas?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 17, 2020

Maybe it could include a virtual tour of the building for new students and video introductions of teachers or grade level teams or departments.

otterpop likes this.
  4. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Rookie

Jun 17, 2020

Perhaps the principal could film a short welcome video. I teach HS, so I could envision something where we are asked to film a short (5 minutes or less) video for each class we teach where we intro ourselves and give an overview of the semester (basically what we would say during Open House) with a way for parents to contact us if need be. These videos could be put on a school website or social media page for parents to access.

Teachingtoo likes this.
  5. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Jun 17, 2020

I've been thinking this, too. I could see a meet where teachers present and talk through a PowerPoint slide. Not sure of the best way to have a Q & A, but probably by having parents type questions in the chat box and having teachers respond verbally would be a good way to handle it. Truthfully, that wouldn't be much different than what I usually do, in person.

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 17, 2020

Ours already includes a video component, from the principal and PTSA so it will be an easy transition online.

7. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Jun 18, 2020

My school did one - It was a grade wide ppt with the first section being the counselors' slides about a variety of info, followed by each teacher getting three slides. I forget what they covered - what our on line platform/ "class" looks like, grading policy, our "office hours" and how to reach us. The idea was to keep it general so that they could email us to talk specifics. It worked for us.