Virginia or Maryland

Discussion in 'General Education' started by happybat4, Oct 22, 2014.

1. happybat4

happybat4 Rookie

Oct 22, 2014

My wife just accepted a position for a job in Washington DC. We are moving over there in two months and we are debating to live in Virginia or Maryland. Which state is better for teachers?

Also I am certified to teach social studies in Washington and California. I took the West-E in Washington to get certified and also took the C-SET in California to get certified there. Will I need to take another test in these states? I have 3 1/2 years subbing experience, but only 1 year of teaching experience.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 22, 2014

I've taught in Maryland and Virginia. I'd never teach in Maryland again, ever. Virginia will accept your certification, but there will be a couple tests you'd have to take.

4. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Oct 22, 2014

Out of curiosity, why not Maryland?

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 22, 2014

Mostly because of the bad experience (principal from hell would be an insult to Satan and his minions). The state tests compared to Virginia's were awful, also (and them being given in March... eek), and their IEP system was a nightmare to use or understand.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 22, 2014

With less than three years' experience running your own classroom, you're likely to have to test again. Virginia and Maryland are both Praxis states, so you shouldn't have to worry about state history, anyway.

The single biggest change in social studies tests in the last two or three years is probably driven by Common Core: there's more emphasis on historical thinking and on being able to assemble evidence from a document or from one's knowledge of a historical event or trend to justify one's interpretation of it. You may also need to know a bit about citation of sources and plagiarism.

7. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Oct 22, 2014

Depends on where you will be teaching. Howard County PS in Maryland is one of the best districts in the nation and the people I know that work there are very happy. I teach in Baltimore City, which is the highest paying district in the state, but this district is not for everyone. I'm sure it is the same way in VA; some districts that serve certain populations will be more problematic - unless you enjoy that sort of environment.

In the past, I've looked into teaching in VA, but I'm not willing to take a pay cut regardless of how wonderful the district is.

8. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Oct 22, 2014

I don't know Maryland's deal, but Virginia is a non-union state (if that matters to you).

9. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Oct 22, 2014

^^^ Good point! That alone is reason enough for me to never teach in VA - but Unions are not a deal breaker for some.