Virginia - alternative license questions

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Bak2Math, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Bak2Math

Bak2Math Rookie

Sep 5, 2015

Can you confirm that all I need for the 3 year non-renewable license is a bachelor's with a math major in order to teach (secondary/HS) math, without having to take every individual course listed?

Then for the 5 year renewable I need
    -to take/pass praxis 5161 and the VCLA
    -take 15 (maybe 18) credit hours for the professional studies license which includes
    -- Human growth and development
    -- Curriculum and Instruction (I dont think this is needed though for 6-12)
    -- Classroom and Behavior Management
    -- Foundations of education
    -- Reading (6 hours) and for math this one is confusing for me
    - lastly teach full time for a year

All of these requirements are on the web but unfortunately they are under the Virginia Legislative Assembly which isn't always 100 per cent clear.

If you've read this far and you have gone this route where did you take all of these classes? Online, night classes, etc? Any recommendations, specifically for the Richmond area?

Lastly, if you're not in Virginia but have taken online classes that would satisfy the above what programs would you recommend (or possibly even recommend I avoid)?

Thanks, I can never seem to make these question posts short.

3. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

4. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Sep 5, 2015

To get the 3 year non renewable(provisional) you need to be hired by a school division and they apply for the non renewable for you is how I understand it, anyway that is how it is for special education.

5. Kelster95

Kelster95 Companion

Sep 5, 2015

I took licensure courses through UVA wise center for teaching excellence. The classes are online and affordable and are approved by vadoe. I am in the Richmond area.

6. Bak2Math

Bak2Math Rookie

Sep 5, 2015

Absolutely perfect!

thanks

7. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Sep 5, 2015

I took my professional studies courses online through University of Phoenix accepted with no problem.

Oh professional studies is not a license (maybe you have a typo) it is course work needed towards teacher licensure to obtain your 5 year license. (in addition to coursework needed in the content area and exams such as Praxis and VCLA)

8. Bak2Math

Bak2Math Rookie

Sep 6, 2015

thanks vateacher. I have tried to respond in detail but am having problems. I will certainly look into that option as well.

9. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Sep 6, 2015

You can also send your transcripts to VDOE (for a fee) for licensure review in the content(s) you would like to teach, they will send you back a letter outlining what courses you still need, if any, and what exams are needed.

It could take a while to hear back during their busy season (it may be slowing down now). I sent for a review over the summer to see about adding an endorsement and I am still waiting for a response........my timing was not the best, lol.