VIP Kids

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mrsammieb, Jan 5, 2020.

1. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jan 5, 2020

I was thinking of trying this out to make a little extra money. Has anyone done this and is it worth it. I would love more details.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 5, 2020

I looked into it and didn't feel it was worth the money. The sessions are on China time, which is the middle of the night here. I'm in mountain time zone- if you're in Eastern it's a little better- still early morning though. I have an odd sleeping schedule in the summer anyway and considered doing it just then, but they want a 6 month commitment and there was no way I could keep up a schedule like that during the school year.

They also require you to buy some things (like a headset and props) just for the interview, and I couldn't justify spending money before knowing I had the job. They do provide the lesson plans for you, but you're expected to add in things like props yourself. That may be easy enough for someone who has young children and may have a lot of toys and such around to use as visuals, but I don't, so again it would have been a lot of my own money spent when they're already not paying you very much. They're also very into "total physical response" and require a lot of antics from the teachers. You also need to market yourself to the clients to try to get people to sign up for your classes- they don't just sign up kids for you. IMO the major benefit of working for a tutoring agency is that you don't have to chase after clients yourself, but that's not true in this case.

We did have a teacher on our staff who was waking up at 3:30 AM and tutoring for a couple of hours before school. I honestly just can't imagine, but she said she was a morning person. I also have a friend back in the Eastern time zone who is a stay at home mom and she likes it because she can just work a few hours in the morning while her kids are sleeping and make some extra money without having to get a job outside of the home.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 5, 2020

I know a SAHM who has started doing it. She left teaching to stay home with her kids. They’re toddlers. The other I know is a retired teacher. I haven’t heard them say much about it.

5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Jan 5, 2020

When I saw the times you had to work, that was the end of my interest in it. :)

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  6. urban teacher

urban teacher Rookie

Jan 6, 2020

I started to do it. I am not getting booked enough. I only want 20 classes a month but am getting booked for 1 a week if lucky. I plan to apply to another company to get more classes.

7. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 6, 2020

My cousin has been successful enough to do it full-time-ish, at least enough to justify the hours as more than a hobby/side gig.

I dabbled a bit. It was fun, but with my household kind of difficult, and I just didn't want to commit to making it more financially worthwhile.

8. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 6, 2020

I've heard some concerns it's getting oversaturated?

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2020

Not surprising, based on the amount of advertising I am seeing.

Backroads likes this.