Violence in the work place - something to consider

Discussion in 'General Education' started by vickilyn, Oct 22, 2019.

1. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Oct 22, 2019

Saw this article, and thought in deserved consideration - we have touched on it before, but things may be getting worse for teachers.

I don't have answers, but I know that many teachers have found themselves facing the same situations. Just wanted to share.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Oct 22, 2019

I personally think it is worse than the article says for this reason -- not only do most admins do nothing, they turn it around and try to BLAME the teacher for it. "If your lessons were more engaging, if your classroom management was just better, etc. this wouldn't happen." This is a bunch of hooey!

These kids have many reasons for the violence -- mental illness, traumas we can't imagine, abusive homes, poor parenting -- and we can't fix ANY of these. The most engaging lessons in the world won't fix it. The best classroom management in the world wont' fix it. And yet, we are blamed for not fixing it!

And in many situations, if a teacher "dares" to actually report it, or follow-up with a police report, they will face major retaliation from their admins. And even the good admins, who do act on this, are often overruled by their higher-ups when the violent child's parents call and complain.

The cards are stacked against many teachers. Until admin and higher-ups and parents recognize this, put their collective feet down, and say NO! nothing will change.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Oct 22, 2019

You are completely right. When a teacher speaks up, many admins talk down to the teacher, adding an unhealthy dose of blame. It is no wonder that soon teachers fail to report what they are actually experiencing in the classroom.

I should go on to say that I have not been overly disturbed by the foul language, but draw the line at aggressive behavior coupled with verbal threats. I've personally had students lay hands on me when safeties didn't respond fast enough, and no one should have to put up with that and then defend their decisions to call for help outside of the classroom to admin. I teach students who are where they are because of their propensity for disobedience, but that shouldn't be an excuse to accept that attacks and viable threats as part of out everyday reality. It is something I consider daily.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    Obadiah and Tired Teacher like this.
  5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Oct 25, 2019

The numbers are much higher than reported. Just this week, I saw a kid hitting the sped aide. Nothing happened and she told me he does it all of the time. ( It is all swept under the rug.) The kid is not big enough to do damage now, but if he keeps getting away w/ this crap, he is going to grow bigger and somebody is going to get hurt.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    Obadiah and futuremathsprof like this.
  6. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Oct 27, 2019

It's not the teacher who's misbehaving, it's the kid! OK, does this happen in other professions? Do dentists get blamed if parents refuse to get their kids to brush their teeth? Do doctors get blamed if parents feed their kids too much candy? Do the police get blamed if parents don't teach their child not to throw rocks at cars?

Right now, I'm listening to my morning music. I'll bet you those musicians practiced when they were kids and their parents assisted them on making positive decisions about practicing. It wouldn't be their music teachers' fault if they refused to practice. Oops! I forgot! The music teachers had magic wands to wave and zap the kids into perfect performances. How silly of me to forget that principle, principals. I'll do better with my magic spells the next time. Let's see, bibbity bobbity boo.......

Tired Teacher likes this.
  7. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Oct 27, 2019

We had a situation this week where one of my male students violently assaulted a female student. They are pressing charges. I am hoping he will be removed. It is sad because he needs counseling but his mother has continue to deny services. He has assaulted other students before and I am not confident that he will not eventually assault a teacher.

8. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 27, 2019

Yes. It is becoming more common to blame professionals.

However, I don't think your examples match up with teachers being blamed for reactions in the classroom.

You are comparing actions that are happening out of the doctor or dentists office but the topic of admins asking teachers what was going on is about what is going on under their supervision.

I do agree that sometimes teachers get blamed for kids not doing homework. Most times it is not their fault, but sometimes it is (or the fault of teachers before them). Giving kids work beyond their ability or work they don't understand is one sure way to get a child to not do it. Giving busy work to a kid that knows the material is a waste of time and some kids won't bother. Yes, there are some parents that don't encourage kids to try or even care if they do the work. So, when it comes to homework, there is enough blame to go around to all.

Obadiah likes this.
  9. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Oct 27, 2019

Recently had a bus driver to get cussed out by a student only to have the principal to say that there was better communication needed between the parent and the bus driver. Folks, try not fall out of your chair.

Tired Teacher likes this.