violence in classrooms - documentary film

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacherfilm2020, Jan 20, 2020.

1. teacherfilm2020

teacherfilm2020 Rookie

Jan 20, 2020

Each day when a teacher walks into a classroom, they face a wealth of uncertainties. Which students will show up? Will there be a fire drill? Will students be attentive and engaged, or aloof and disruptive? What new edicts will be sent down from the administration this week? Will I have time for lunch with all the grading I have due for sixth period? All important concerns, but increasingly, teachers must also question whether acts or threats of violence will impact their workday. This violence is an issue that many teachers have dealt with, that few other professions experience, and that the public should be made aware of.

I am a filmmaker in New York City searching for teachers to speak to about their experiences in classroom settings where violence was (or is) an active problem or a disturbing backdrop to their career. My father was a teacher and his experiences and those of many friends drive my interest in this subject. I am writing a film about a teacher who must confront the parents of a student she believes may become violent, and I would like to talk with teachers who have dealt with this problem in their classrooms. I will film these interviews and cut a short documentary giving voice to this issue.

I would love to speak to teachers with a wide range of experiences, from the minor (being kicked by a pre-schooler during a tantrum) to the more serious (threatened by a high school student) to the catastrophic (acts of gun violence). I would also like to hear from teachers who have not experienced violence directly, but are affected by it through community issues, media coverage, etc. Teachers may face potentially dangerous situations every time they walk into a classroom, and their stories should be told.

I will bring a very small crew to you for an interview at your convenience that should last a couple of hours, including setup and breakdown. I will guide you through a series of questions in telling your story, and I am open to whatever you would like to share. Please message me with brief answers to the questions below and I will reach out to discuss and schedule an interview.

Thank you so much.

Name:
    Phone #:
    Grades taught:
    School location:
    Public/Private:
    Experience with classroom violence:

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 21, 2020

You REALLY need to get into the special education group on Facebook. I've read many horror stories in the ones I'm in!

teacherfilm2020 likes this.
  4. teacherfilm2020

teacherfilm2020 Rookie

Jan 21, 2020

Thanks so much for the tip! I am just starting the reach out to people that I don't know - do you have a link to a good FB group that I could request membership in?

5. teacherfilm2020

teacherfilm2020 Rookie

Jan 21, 2020

Also, definitely looking for more banal, typical stories, not just the worst stories, so would love to speak to anyone who would like to tell theiri story who may see this post. Also, please pass it on. Thanks, all!

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 22, 2020

I haven't found any on Facebook. Which one are you in?

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 22, 2020

Mostly special education ones. The students need the help. The teachers are getting beat up and not getting the help THEY need in order to help the students.

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 22, 2020

teacherfilm2020 likes this.
  9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 23, 2020

Thanks.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 23, 2020

This is a major problem in many of our classrooms here; it is one of the main issues in our on-going labour dispute.

11. teacherfilm2020

teacherfilm2020 Rookie

Feb 6, 2020

I'm the original poster - thank you so much for this information! Sorry for the delay - the site wasn't updating me that I'd gotten responses. I really appreciate it.

12. teacherfilm2020

teacherfilm2020 Rookie

Feb 6, 2020

Hello @MrsC - is there any way that you might be willing to be interviewed, or do you have any contacts with your union? I would be particularly interested in this from a labor perspective. Please let me know, and apologies for the delayed response! The site for some reason stopped notifying me of responses. Thank you!