Videos in the Classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SweetCaroline, Nov 12, 2008.

1. SweetCaroline

SweetCaroline New Member

Nov 12, 2008

Hello, I am actually not a teacher but a filmmaker. I currently work in LA but have always felt a strong pull towards teaching and education. I am interested in creating a line of education videos for the classroom and am hoping that you could help me by giving me some info:

How do you think videos should b utilized in the classroom? What do you think is lacking in the videos that are currently available? What do you like about what is currently available? If you could request topics to be discussed, what would they be?

Thanks so much for all your input!

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2008

Hi, and welcome! I'm a high school English teacher, but back in the 80's I was a television writer.

I use videos to help my students visualize literature, and unfortunately, there aren't many excellent film versions of some novels. An example is Lord of the Flies, which is used extensively in high schools. The only film that stays relatively true to the book is a black and white version that was made in 1963 with mostly amateur child actors; the production values are rather cheesy by today's standards. There was an American remake, but it deviates much too far from the book to make it useful. I would love to see a series of videos that faithfully dramatizes the most significant scenes of novels in the curriculum - kind of like the old Great Books series, but updated.

Hey, if you need a writer, let me know! :)

4. Sheba

Sheba Companion

Nov 12, 2008

First, short videos are actually a lot more useful that long ones. A 2-5 minute video clip is ideal to break up a class that has trouble paying attention for long periods of time. A video that's designed to supplement a lesson is better than one designed to replace it.

Secondly, it's nice to have a video that doesn't have things in too small detail. While we have large-screen TVs in our classrooms, we don't have projection TVs, and students at the back have trouble seeing tiny details.

Finally, a few humorous details are nice. I don't like videos that try too hard to be comedic or melodramatic, but the odd funny detail makes videos much more enjoyable.

I could write pages about things I'd like to see related to my specific field (TEFL) but those are a few little things that would apply across the board.

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Nov 12, 2008

I do filmmaking WITH my 3rd and 4th students (not first graders yet) but we have done claymation, short films, etc. One thing I find lacking is child appropriate EXAMPLES of film.

I do a unit (you can see my curriculum on my website) and we compare the Disney movie Mulan w/ the traditional poem, and watch episodes of Pete and Pete which is the closest child-friendly thing I can come up with... plus they are great. I also use the curriculum from the Screenwriter's guild.

I would like some films that could teach ASPECTS of film theory- use of angles, music, different shots, the intention of the filmmaker, etc. All this in good SHORT films for kids.

I have searched and searched and not found many appropriate films that go along w/ these concepts.

Hope you make something! Let me know if you DO!

P.S. I have done documentaries and regular films with kids- the documentaries have MUCH better examples for kids...

6. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Nov 12, 2008

I would echo what others have said. I am a history teacher, and nothing is more boring than showing a "special" on the ruins of the Aztec Empire and having to watch 60 year old historians lecture us, panning shots of the same map, accompanied by horrible music.

Keep it short, to the point, and designed to supplement the material rather than teach it.

7. sk8enscars311

sk8enscars311 Companion

Nov 13, 2008

I am a music teacher at PreK-8 school. It's tough to find things for the older kids that are still school appropriate. I'd love to see something done on any of the various topics: Recording technology-how bands put it all together; short biographies on well-known musicians... jazz, rock, rap, etc.; musical instruments... especially ones that are hard for a teacher to obtain.... bagpipes, gamelon, etc.; making music at home... ideas and instructions for creating instruments out of found objects...

I could go on forever. I agree with a lot of what the others say. They need to be up-to-date, informative yet simple, and in varying lengths. Anything from 2 minutes to 20 minutes would be best.

The hour long Beethoven biographies that are nothing more than pictures and boring music are a joke.

Hope you get some good ideas on here! Thanks!