Video to supplement math class? (middle school)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Bored of Ed, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2012

The shorter the better. Not boring please. It doesn't really matter so much what the topic is because we're approaching the state tests so they could use some review/reinforcement in everything and anything. They're in 7th grade but very low in math, so anything from 5-7th grade would be fine.

Extra credit if I can download it online. If I can't I could try to hunt it down... Really not planning to spend money on this. I could cough up a couple of bucks if I can get it inexpensive on itunes, though.

Thanks!

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2012

Check out Scholastic's Study Jams videos. They are all online and about 2-3 minutes.

4. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2012

Thanks for that! I never heard of it before. Looks potentially interesting and useful. For this, though, I'm looking for something with a little more entertainment value. Also I need something I can download because I have no internet at school.

5. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Mar 18, 2012

Brainpop/Brainpop jr. is great for this--not sure of the cost, because my school district has a subscription that covers all of the schools in the county.

6. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2012

I'm not a subscriber and not planning to be. Out of my budget and their sample videos were OK but I didn't see myself getting tons of use out of the program...

I don't want something that screams "educational" because this is supposed to be a fun treat for the kids. But it has to be relevant because I can't afford to totally waste a period. In history this would be a cinch but I can't think of a single math video that's really fun and actually teaches or reinforces something. "Educational" videos that I see are much too preachy, like my regular teaching with a little animated character or something. Blah.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2012

Well, there's the youtube clip where the Scarecrow mangles the Pythagorean Theorem after getting a brain. It's under 2 minutes, but it could spark a conversation about what he SHOULD have said (if, in fact, the wizard had given him a brain.)

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2012

There are some Disney math videos. I vaguely remember one with Donald Duck. I think that these are in my school library and I know that many of the other fifth and sixth grade teachers use them. I don't, but that's because I don't want to take up a class period with a video.

I suggest checking your school library and the library of your elementary schools to see what they have. Also run by your local library.

9. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2012

Alice, sounds good! Any idea what it's called?

Mopar, My school library doesn't have anything but if you know what they're called I can look for them elsewhere?

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 19, 2012

What level of math are you discussing? Khan Academy is doing some exciting stuff with explaining math and science in a fast, approachable way.

11. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2012

They're 7th graders officially responsible for 7th grade curriculum, but they are weak in math so anything from 5-7th grade would be appropriate.

I'm off to go search youtube for the one Alice mentioned, pythagorean theorem is coming up soon in my plans anyway!

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2012

Donald in Mathmagic Land; School House Rock has a money video; and Bill Nye Solving for X

13. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2012

Thanks! I wonder if I can get a hold of Bill Nye. I loved his shows as a kid, and solving for x sounds right on target for my kids.

14. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2012

I believe that most Bill Nye videos are about $30. So it is pricey but not if you will use it again and again.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2012

Here it is:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUCZXn9RZ9s

16. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2012

Thanks Alice, I found it by searching. I think I'll give it a try even though I bet my students totally won't catch it. We'll go through it slowly... And then the related videos links on that one took me to something called 'Square One' which I will need to look through but it might also have potential.

So far I don't see that Bill Nye on the public library website, though there is something called "Math, Business, and Industry" so I wonder if that would have something useful... placing a hold and holding my breath ;-)

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2012

Instead of a video, why not show them how to write out checks... then balance a checkbook? You can phrase it as part of them becoming adults. What you don't have to say is that it's great reinforcement of their work on positive and negative integers.

You can find blank checks at www.moneyinstructor.com

18. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Mar 19, 2012

You can download the Bill Nye episodes on Itunes for $1.99, they have two seasons of science and it looks like a season of Finding the x.

19. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2012

Too much like work. They're begging for a treat. Specifically a video. I told them I'll try and see what I can come up with. Yeah, I know I'm a bit of a pushover, but I have to be the nice guy sometimes... I'm already the least favorite class.

20. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2012

AAAAAHHHHH this is the news I was hoping to hear!!! I hadn't even looked for him on iTunes yet! So finding the x is a whole season, hm? I guess I'll have to figure out what episode I want. Anyone have a recommendation? :thumb:

21. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2012

I see two episodes on iTunes. Read what each episode teaches and pick the one that is best for your students. They have a pre-algebra (20 minutes) and an algebra (17 minutes) episode.

22. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Mar 19, 2012

Bored - have you checked Discovery Education? They have tons of videos that last from 15 to 30 minutes, and they cover a multitude of subjects!

23. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2012

I don't have a subscription there and already used my trial :(

24. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Mar 20, 2012

OK, I found a couple of corny but good enough videos on Youtube and downloaded them with Realplayer. I also discovered that the Bill Nye Solving for X episodes on iTunes for $1.99 do appear to be the same ones that are selling in the disney education store for $30! I bought them and they're downloading and I hope they're good :D

And I will be in SUCH trouble tomorrow if I don't get off the tube and go do some sleeping. As it is I spent so much of tonight pursuing math videos and venting about the same class's behavior that I didn't prepare anything for my other class. (don't even think about asking why I'm doing night-before prep for anyone, let alone two different classes. It has been a rough time for me and I'm living day by day praying for Spring break to come early.)

25. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Mar 21, 2012

OK, the kids liked Bill Nye at first but the episodes were REALLY short. 3-5 minutes apiece. I think it's a real shame because they were entertaining and pretty clear, but didn't take the time to really go into the concepts. The kids would start to get into it and then suddenly it would be over and they were like, "huh? That's it?" It was like being left hanging mid-sentence. If I would have paid $30 for it I would have been deeply bummed. The concept had such potential but needed more development before proceeding to marketing and sales. Oh well.

Today I taught pythagorean theorem so tomorrow I will show the scarecrow clip and see what they make of it!

26. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2012

That's too bad. You'll know for next year to use them as engaging clips to start or end a lesson.

27. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Mar 22, 2012

The Website: khanacademy.org can't be beat. Great math videos on how to do certain problems. Not the most entertaining, but the students still enjoy it and it really helps.

28. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2012

Thanks! I just stumbled on it in the appstore yesterday and downloaded the ipad app, but didn't check out the videos yet. Now I will definitely make sure to follow through with that.

29. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Mar 29, 2012

OK, turns out the videos became a great incentive for the students to stay on task during class... but now I'm out of videos! Need more suggestions from Youtube or other free site please!

Khan academy seems too boring to be an incentive. Maybe as an instructional supplement but I need motivation here.

So far we watched "Solving for X" by Bill Nye, the scarecrow/pythagorean theorem clip, Abbot and Costello's 13x7=28, and something called Mathcourt about area. They are begging for more Abbot and Costello but anything reasonably entertaining will do.

30. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Mar 29, 2012

Math games are also great fun if you are running short on videos. I have played Math jeopardy where I call on the quietest group each time. If there is a tie then I call on the group I haven't called on in awhile. You could have 3 groups of 2 in your classroom or something like that. I realize you want an incentive, but Abbott and Costello won't help them much in math.

31. MathEqualsLove

MathEqualsLove Companion

Mar 29, 2012

One of my favorite math videos on youtube is the Nonagon Song. I'm not sure if you are covering the different types of polygons, but the tune is really catchy, the video is cute, and kids really seem to enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5ohtlewREI

32. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

May 13, 2012

Hey there, bumping up this thread because believe it or not even though we don't even have good enough behavior for a video every day, I've gone through everything and need more! Help!

Again, it MUST be a video (yes, I KNOW there are a zillion other fun math things to do. This is a reward/motivator and is THE ONLY thing that motivates this group), preferably in the 4-10 minute range, available free on youtube or cheap on itunes or somewhere, and need not be precisely related to grade level math though that's a big bonus. In fact last week I showed them Caine's Arcade just for inspiration, I felt it was worth it, but I prefer that to be the exception rather than rule.

In math we're wrapping up percents with real-world applications, before that we did probability, and after this we'll be going to relations/functions (x/y graphs) which I don't anticipate finding videos about. I do think there must be something that could tie into probability or percents... but again, anything math related or even educational in general would do.

Khan academy is crazy boring. Great for review or independent learning, but definitely NOT entertainment.

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 13, 2012

Bored, scroll all the way down on the Khan Academy index page till you find, right at the end, a couple dozen videos by Vi Hart. They are simply amazing - and might just make your kids stop and think.