Video Teach a Lesson....Any Advice?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by deeceekids, May 28, 2010.

1. deeceekids

deeceekids Companion

May 28, 2010

I finally decided to do the one thing I really didn't want to, and that was to apply to districts four to five hours away thinking that I would relocate if something happened. I really wasn't expecting anything back. Anyway, I applied yesterday, and today, I received an email from HR saying that they want me to do a lesson through either a video I send in or by going there. Here's what they wrote:

The sample teach is a five-minute opportunity for you to showcase your talents as a teacher. You will have one minute of prep time and five minutes to deliver a lesson in your content area. The other teacher candidates in your room will serve as your class and audience. A white board will be available, but we will not provide markers, tape, pens, paper, audiovisual equipment or other resources. You are welcome to bring manipulatives or visual aids. You may deliver a lesson covering any content in the subject you’re being certified to teach. Note: you will actually present the lesson as though the other teachers are your students.

I am wondering if anyone has done this before and if you have any advice.

3. newtoclass

newtoclass Rookie

May 28, 2010

The sample lesson plan is for Houston ISD, right? I submitted a video lesson plan on character traits because it was inconvenient for me to travel all the way to Houston. I passed that round, but I can't really tell you the criteria that they used to judge my lesson.

4. 2cutekiddos

2cutekiddos Companion

May 28, 2010

If you can do the video I say go for it. I just did a 2nd round interview and the demo lesson I had to give was to the P, AP, and two teachers. I had never done anything like that before. I felt awkward and of course adults never react the way real kids do. So I didn't feel I was able to fully demonstrate my style of teaching.

I also would opt for the video because I find using the other teacher candidates as your audience to be intimidating. Good luck!

5. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 28, 2010

WOw, the other candidates will be your audience?!?! Talk about intimidating!!!

The video gives you the option for a "re-do" but Im sure they know that are are tougher on the grading beacause of it.

GOOD LUCK!!!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 29, 2010

That sounds GREAT-- what a wonderful opportunity to set yourself apart from the other candidates.

I would, of course, travel there- that way you get more than 6 minutes to make a great impression. The way you act to the other candidates, the way you dress, your general demeanor-- these things will make an impression as well.

And it gives you the opportunity to contact other local school districts,mention that you'll be in the area for an interview, and ask if they might squeeze you in for an interview or a school tour. For the price of an overnight hotel stay, you might make several connections.

7. crcteach

crcteach Rookie

May 29, 2010

wow. I have never heard of doing a sample lesson for an interview. that would be so hard when not in the classroom with students. I wish I had advice to give, but instead I'll wish you luck an hope for the best!!!:)

8. Nguyenap87

Nguyenap87 Rookie

May 29, 2010

Hi deeceekids,

I also did an audition video for them and I passed that round. I'm from Dallas and I just sent in a video just teaching in a room in my house. I passed that round and just passed the preliminary interview as well. I don't know that it makes a difference whether or not you go there because everyone I know who sent in a video has passed that round. Anyway, just be yourself and teach it the way you would really teach a lesson. Relax and have fun! You should know about a week or two after the video if you go to the next round! Good luck!

9. deeceekids

deeceekids Companion

May 29, 2010

Thanks everyone for all the advice.

Alice: You are right. I am really thinking about just going there and seeing if I can get the opportunity to meet with some administrators in the area while I'm there doing the lesson.

Nguyena: What was the preliminary interview like? If you don't mind sharing, I just wondered what kinds of questions they asked and if you met with a team of teachers and administrators or just an administrator.

Thanks again everyone!

10. drk1980

drk1980 New Member

Jun 21, 2010

time of the video teach

I have also been given the chance to send in my video and I have a problem since my video extends to 8 mins and 20secs.Does anyone, who made it to the next phase after submitting their sample video teach, know how strict they are about the stipulated time of five minutes since it seemed impossible for me to compress my Math lesson without compromising the quality?

11. townguy

townguy New Member

Jun 30, 2010

I didn't pass the sample video lesson round. My video was about 6 minutes long and I'm wondering if this was why. I also did it using a digital camera with a video feature so the sound wasn't the greatest. I have another shot as I applied for another position in a different subject so I'm going to be sure to up the video quality and keep it under 5 minutes.

12. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2010

I did it in person at HISD, and made it to the next round. I actually enjoyed the way it was set up. I was able to watch other teachers do their lessons -- and learn some good stuff (and also learn what NOT to do!).

Be prepared. Rehearse. The night before, I rehearsed with a timer to make sure I could get it all done in just under five minutes.

If you do a video, do the same thing. Rehearse, rehearse, rehearse. Also, make sure you have everything placed exactly where you will need it ti continue your lesson without having to stop and look for things.

Good luck!

13. townguy

townguy New Member

Jul 1, 2010

Any advice on actually doing a video as far as content? I'm going to be doing one for 6-12 business education this weekend. I will be filming it in my apartment as I don't have access to a classroom. Hopefully that is not a big deal. I'm thinking of just doing a quick lesson on some business concepts as they really give no insight on what they are looking for.

14. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Jul 1, 2010

In the Houston Chronicle, it said HISD has had about 5000 applicants so far. Apparently, some major house cleaning happened and 1000 positions are open. So far with the video lessons, they deemed 600 applicants to meet their new standards.

I just saw this article a week ago. Not sure if those facts are helpful.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2010

HI and welcome!

I don't think I've ever taken a single business course, so take this for what it's worth.

In a 5 minute lesson, there's not a whole lot of content you can cover. So you'll want to take one tiny concept-- say, the importance of starting with a budget, and expand upon it.

You'll want to speak TO the kids, as though they're right there on the couch.

You'll want an intro-- real life application for business, a good 3-4 minute of teaching and explanation, then a quick conclusion that ties back to your intro.

As to what they're looking for, here's my guess:
    - They want to see professionalism. Dress in a suit, I don't care that it's 100 degrees and your AC is broken. Find a spot in your house that appears least like a house-- no microwave or TV in the background. Speak slowly and clearly.

- They want to see personality. Smile, act as though you're loving this.

- They want to see organization. Particularly with a video lesson, which allows for you to re-do until you get it right, there had better be incredible organization. Make sure you define any terms you're using. Assume that I'm your audience-- someone totally new to the course.

- They want to know that you'll cover the state standards. Go to the state education dept. website, and find the standard(s) you're covering. Make sure you let them know which one(s) you're addressing.

- They want to see that you're comfortable with speaking. I remember some Education courses where prospective teachers actually read off note cards. Absolutely NOT going to fly!!!

Does that help at all?

16. Emmy

Emmy Companion

Jul 2, 2010

I'm also planning to do a demo lesson for HISD. I am early childhood/elementary certified and plan on doing a demo lesson on rhyming. I'll be doing the lesson in my home so I won't have any students, which makes it hard. Anyone know what HISD looks for in their video demos? I'm so nervous I won't pass their standards and then won't even have a chance at a job in this district.