Video platform

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Aug 3, 2020.

1. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 3, 2020

Outside of YouTube, which will be what I use unless I find an alternative, are there any good free websites where I can post videos and share to Google Classroom?

My videos in the spring were just me talking, recorded with my cellphone. If there’s an easy way to jazz them up, I’d like to do that, but I don’t want anything that will be too complicated as I’ll be making a LOT. Any app recommendations welcome as well.

3. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Rookie

Aug 3, 2020

Do you want a way you can record videos of yourself and publish to GC? I used Screencastify in the spring and loved it! At the time, they let teachers have their "unlimited plan" for free, but that expired in June. With the free plan, you can record up to five minute videos. You could get around this by just recording two separate videos if you have something that is a bit longer. I know you can do some editing, like adding text, splicing/cutting, etc., but I honestly didn't do too much with that in the spring. Once you're done recording, there is a button where you can publish directly to G.C. It also saves automatically in your Google Drive.

4. Camel13

Camel13 Companion

Aug 3, 2020

I used Loom and loved it. I could share my screen and give a tutorial of any sites I wanted students to use and I used Jamboard as a whiteboard to do Chem and Physics problems.

otterpop likes this.
  5. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 3, 2020

Thank you! Can you record with these too?

6. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 3, 2020

Thanks! I’ll check that out. My videos will need to be longer than that (by requirement, not by choice). But I’ll look at pricing. I’m not opposed to paying but it would depend on the price.

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 4, 2020

If you are required to provide larger videos they should pay for a program that allows you to do so. What are other teachers at your school/district using? What is the guidance from the district?

Backroads and otterpop like this.
  8. Camel13

Camel13 Companion

Aug 4, 2020

Yes, actually I should have said it is record only, not live. It automatically generates a link at the end you can add in Classroom!

otterpop likes this.
  9. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 4, 2020

They should, but they won’t. The guidance is “you must post videos daily.” :rolleyes: Not much else. Everyone is using whatever works for them. I’m not sure actually, I’ll ask around more. In the spring, we were required to have live sessions but not required to post videos, although some did.

10. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 4, 2020

Loom and Screencastify are both good options.

11. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Comrade

Aug 5, 2020

If you have a Windows Computer, hit the windows button and the letter G.

This will pull up the Xbox Game Bar. In the widget menu, add screen capture. Hit record and share away! You'll have to add the video to Google Classroom manually.

(But I am going to check out loom and screencastify as well. The Xbox screen capture is very basic with no special effects or thrills.... but it does work!)

12. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 5, 2020

I used QuickTime and iMovie on my Macbook to record and edit movies. It wasn't so bad once I figured out how the software worked. But this was just for recording and editing, as I said. As far as where to upload/host the finished video, I used the platforms required by my district.

13. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 5, 2020

I’ll definitely play around with this. Thank you!